Author Topic: Dinghy storage  (Read 8803 times)

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
Dinghy storage
« on: December 13 2012, 12:15 »
I pondered about this for some time, davits or no davits, but finally made a webbing sling from the stern (2 x eyebolts) to a "handy billy" system attached to the back stay, (I am sure I will get some ramarks) But it works.

My wife can now move the motor from it's location on the rail to the dinghy, it has 2 positions it can be put in. My wife can do both. She can also lower the dinghy from its stored position.

So, we have a webbing sling, attached to 2 eyebolts on the stern, and we have fitted a wheel each side of the stern ladder so the dinghy rides over the stern when being hosted.

When we are using the dinghy we keep it stored there over night and at anchor.
Also we sail with it  there weather permitting. My dinghy is 3 mts Suzumar so not a light weight.

Or you can fit davits.
Odysseus

suibhne

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Dinghy storage
« Reply #1 on: October 25 2013, 11:30 »
Good idea!

Now that my masts down with boat on the hard I will attempt a modification of your system.
A single line from top of mast to approximately just below the backstay split pulley.
The single line supports a new pulley.
A snap shackle at the end of a halyard is attached to the webbing and the other end being fed through pulley is then pulled to lift dinghy.
The same arrangement can be used to lift the outboard.

Craggles

« Reply #2 on: November 15 2013, 22:57 »
Serenity carries a aluminium 250 quintrex explorer across the stern mounted on stainless steel hinges a bit like the inflatable above. We had a poly smart wave 2400 tender but the tinnie is 15 kgs lighter and doesn't flex. I am lucky to be in engineering so manufacturing gear is easy for me. Thought about Davits but have never liked them personally.
We sail the East Coast of Australia sometimes in over 3 mtr seas and 30 knot breezes and have had no issues. I prefer an aluminium tender as inflates are like teething rings for crocodiles  ;)

When I find out how to add photos, all will become clear

Wayne

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #3 on: January 13 2015, 06:16 »
Hi Odysseus am looking at your dinghy storage system. Do you use your pulley system to lift the inflatable out of the water? I have had a "practice" session on my inflatable (without the webbing) and ended up lifting the inflatable manually by its lifting ropes onto the swim out ladder. Any further tips appreciated.

Wayne (Yacht Devocean)

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
« Reply #4 on: January 14 2015, 16:53 »
I copied Odysseus system exactly and used it all last season, works perfectly.  Thanks Odysseus.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
« Reply #5 on: January 14 2015, 19:21 »
An alternative to consider - this is lifted using the spinnaker halyard and flipped over to be tied down and stored up front between ports. Launch the same way and then walk to the back to fit engine.

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
« Reply #6 on: February 08 2015, 19:35 »
Late reply, been in Pacific, dinghy lifts out ok but some times I have to lift it over my fender as it sticks out a bit, see photo on oridginal post.
Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #7 on: February 09 2015, 09:44 »
I tried lifting the dinghy using the spinnaker pole uphaul ( only rigging fitted for spinnaker as no other spinnaker gear on boat) but found too much friction and no winch. Resorted to man handling it up and found that very easy for an Avon 2.5m so that's what I do - just lift it onto the foredeck manually - wife helps occasionally which makes it even easier apart from the argument about who goes which way to deposit on deck 😺

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
« Reply #8 on: February 11 2015, 01:00 »
Sorry Wayn, late again, I use a handy billy from my backstay, a handybilly is a two fold purchase, 2 blocks,  one attached to back stay other has clip hook attached to dinghy. You can make this out on oridginal photo.

I have to lift side of dinghy over my fender first, than dinghy lifts up great.

Odysseus
Bav38
Odysseus

Wayne

• Second Mate
« Reply #9 on: February 11 2015, 21:56 »
Thanks for the advice Odysseus. I am contemplating a trip up the Australian East Coast in May and am going to adapt your system to suit. I have experimented with two tie downs with a stainless ratchet for tightening. Tie downs loop over the dinghy and the webbing floats so fairly easy to place under and over the dinghy. I have added wheels to swim out ladder and the fender is there as well. Ratchets allow me to tighten the dinghy (3m inflatable) and I'll attach two safety lanyards in case things move in a seaway.

My backstay (Bav 37) presented too much of an angle for a lazy billy and vertical straps. Once I finish everything will photograph and put up on the forum.

Wayne

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
« Reply #10 on: February 12 2015, 12:02 »
What provision has been made for night sailing (if any) as the rear nav. light is obscured?

Wayne

• Second Mate
« Reply #11 on: February 12 2015, 21:53 »
I have a portable (clamp on bimini) LED light that will sit just above dinghy. Will check visibility on Lake Macquarie (where boat is moored) and Australian regulations before I venture up the coast. Once I get up to Great Barrier Reef probably won't do a lot of night sailing.

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
« Reply #12 on: February 13 2015, 15:51 »
This method you just lower the dinghy, no problem.

If the weather is bad I would not have the dinghy out there anyway.

Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

Happy Sailor

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 33c
« Reply #13 on: March 26 2015, 07:49 »
Made a similar set up a few years ago after seeing a readers letter and photo in PBO. Got a sailmaker to stich mesh between the two vertical webs af the 'A' frame. Result is a very stable 'dock' to hold the dinghy in the water whilst embarking / disembarking. Made a new SS bracket for the stern light. Have cruised hundreds of miles with the dinghy on the stern, though only in reasonable weather of course.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
« Reply #14 on: March 26 2015, 14:16 »
Any photos of this stable dock arrangement as my wife and I are always on the point of getting wet when embarking or disembarking !

Happy Sailor

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 33c
« Reply #15 on: March 29 2015, 17:33 »
Out in the Middle East at present without access to my photo library, but will look when I get home. However, my arrangement is almost identical to the photo posted by Odysseus 13.12.12 (079jpg), other than the mesh I described previously. When the dinghy is lowered, I keep it in the fabric A frame sling with tension on the lifting rope and the straps still under it, so that the dinghy is held sideways agains the stern securely. Very stable, even if 'Destiny' is dancing on a swinging mooring. Load engine and crew and slide out. I leave the sling hanging loosely on the sugarscoop, and on return pull it into the water and work the dinghy back in to unload.
Simple but so effective!