Author Topic: Thur hull seacock  (Read 3182 times)

WAArete

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Thur hull seacock
« on: October 15 2018, 03:11 »
 I can't seem to locate my Bavaria manual. And, not sure if it evens provides assistance. However, I need to change my shut off as I was cleaning my strainer and still had water coming into the boat while in the closed position.
To best describe the base is triangle with 3 bolts securing it to the fiberglass. A 1-1/4" wrench would snug the strainer to the seacock. I'll see if I can log in w my phone to add photo.

WAArete

• Second Mate
Re: Thur hull seacock
« Reply #1 on: October 15 2018, 03:15 »
Seacock

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 15 2018, 11:13 »
That is not a standard Bavaria fitting. On a saildrive engine the normal water intake is through the leg and you will find a valve, or more likely in your case a blanking plug on the port side of the saildrive housing.

Would I be right in thinking that you are in the US as I think the valve and strainer you have is made by Groco. It is not unusual to add this direct water intake, but it really is not necessary and would suggest you revert to the standard Bavaria/Volvo system using the built in water intake and a water strainer mounted above the waterline on the starboard side of the engine compartment. Some people have both intakes with a changeover valve so that either can be used.

Sitesurfer

• First Mate
« Reply #3 on: October 15 2018, 13:42 »
It is possible that the waterways in the saildrive leg are corroded or blocked up a bit, same happened to me on the previous boat - so I had a separate one fitted.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: October 15 2018, 22:31 »
Yes, that is quite possible, but not common, although in some areas mussels etc can grow in the waterways and a direct intake is easier to rod clean. Seems the boat has other problems with the drive so close inspection is needed when it is out of the water.

WAArete

• Second Mate
« Reply #5 on: October 16 2018, 03:56 »
Thanks, going to haul out this weekend and make repair.