Author Topic: Structural hull frame Vision 42  (Read 2188 times)

Club 56

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2013
Structural hull frame Vision 42
« on: August 25 2018, 07:26 »
Wanting to add another house battery to boost AH.

Best place I think is under floor storage area just forward of the factory fitted house batteries.
The issue is the hull grid separates these two areas.
My plan would be to drill a hole through and glass in some conduit to pass the new cables through. Will keep the cables shorter also.
Floor grid is hollow and about 120mm (4.75") wide.
Anyone done this or do you think it's a reasonable solution.

Cheers
Club56

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Structural hull frame Vision 42
« Reply #1 on: August 25 2018, 15:06 »
It sounds a good enough idea to me, you just need to be sure that the new battery(ies) are very well secured to prevent any possibility of movement when the boat is rolling, and keep in mind that you need to consider a worst case scenario such as a knockdown. The last thing you want then is for batteries to be getting thrown around.
In regard to cable routing, be guided so far as possible by the existing arrangement where possible. Any holes drilled through longitudinal or transverse frames in the hull structure should be located at the mid depth of that structure to minimise the stress at that point. They should be perfectly round so as not to provide any notches from which cracking can spread. Glassing in tubes for the cables to pass through sounds a good idea as this will help to replace any strength lost as a result of the holes you have to drill.
Also keep in mind how you propose to keep those extra batteries charged, is your present system up to the job, or can you improve things, say with a solar PV system. Having extra batteries serves little purpose if they are allowed to run flat.
Good luck and I hope it all works out well.

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
Re: Structural hull frame Vision 42
« Reply #2 on: August 25 2018, 19:30 »
If you are adding to the original bank . I am told the boat negative should connect to one end of the extended bank and the boat positive to the other end of the bank.

Regards   Tony Revell  Cruiser 33 Pegatha