Author Topic: Diaphragm replacement  (Read 29032 times)

Keweetoo

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Year: 1999
Re: Diaphragm replacement
« Reply #25 on: July 21 2022, 11:08 »
Primozk,
I have a 1999 B35 (essentially the two cabin version of B34) so there may be some internal differences to your boat. I had  the seal replaced a few years back by local marine engineers. Engine is disconnected and moved forward and supported by timber. Manual says only about 5cm needed but on my boat the engine compartment bulkhead would not allow the saildrive to clear engine as only the lower steps remove. Solution was to pull the engine fully forward into saloon on blocks (put down old carpet to protect floor). After removing prop and shaft, saildrive leg will lift out and with a bit of manouvering out the front and up companionway. It definately is a two man job as leg needs to be supported below whilst pulled up but there should not be any need to dismantle anything.

Bav32

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #26 on: July 21 2022, 11:19 »
I have a 32 from 2004. Did change the diaphgram last winter. I had to cut out a piece from the aft cabin bed to get the saildrive to come out. There is no idea to disassemble the whole cabin, it is easier to patch that little hole afterwards with the same bit you cut out

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #27 on: July 21 2022, 13:27 »
On my 37 two cabin of same age the front of the engine box comes off completely in 2 parts - pretty sure the same on the 34 allowing the engine to come forward. No need to move or alter anything except take the seal cover off the lower unit and remove the prop shaft to get the keg through the top. Replace the seals and check the bearings at the same time.

Bav32

• First Mate
« Reply #28 on: July 21 2022, 13:51 »
On my 37 two cabin of same age the front of the engine box comes off completely in 2 parts - pretty sure the same on the 34 allowing the engine to come forward. No need to move or alter anything except take the seal cover off the lower unit and remove the prop shaft to get the keg through the top. Replace the seals and check the bearings at the same time.
If I remember correctly you only need the engine to move 3cm forward. There has to be that clearence on every boat.

primozk

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #29 on: July 21 2022, 15:23 »
Dear All, thanks for your replies. I’m just arranging with a more professional shipyard to make the replacement (it’s not smth I would do myself, at least not this time).

@Yanmar - indeed the rubber ring is leaking - a teardrop every ca 10 seconds. Interestingly the water is not leaking anymore after the ring is full of water. I’d expect it would flow in the motor bilge but this one remains dry.  Unless the water finds another way in the main bilge where i get some water in (a litre for 5h motoring.

For the cabin - I believe the engineer i talked with exagurated with the dismantle. Thanks for your experiences. I believe moving the motor in the cabin would work. And also the aft cabins have 3 screws where it woud be possible to dismount the aft wall (and removing the sealing 1st).

Will post some updates….

Primoz

primozk

• Cadet
« Reply #30 on: October 16 2022, 21:11 »
Hi, my replacement is done (Bav34) . The engineers moved the motor in the cabin, then dismounted the saildrive - the lower part was pulled down and the upper part with the diaphragm trough the motor room. Two man's job.

BR

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #31 on: October 16 2022, 22:09 »
Wow, looks like something sharp pierced through it from the outside. You anger any divers wielding screwdrivers? ;D

Interesting it leaked only so little with that kind of tear in it.

Was the outer fairing still in place?
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #32 on: October 17 2022, 03:13 »
Hi Primozk,

I'm also curious about what you were charged for the work (and, of course, which part of the world you're in.)  That always makes a difference in the cost for professionals to do this job.  It's costly here in the U.S.
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA

primozk

• Cadet
« Reply #33 on: October 17 2022, 08:18 »
@yngmar - I suspect the diphragm was damaged last year by the technician who was fixing the blocked gearbox and also had to (partilly) dismantle the saildrive. That's the only reasonable I can think off.  The outer fairing (rubber saildrive-hull seal) was there but it fell off during the year :/

@nightowle - it was 16 hours of work for two technicians (done in a day and half) - dismount the engine, salidrive and put all back in place. Here in Croatia  the prices go from 30 to 100€/h. Mine was in the mid range. Plus craning, cost on land, diaprhagm ca 400€, lower rubber 100€

Forgot to mention - regarding the replacement i also dropped a note to Bavaria and in 2 days I got a call back and discussed the replacement. Great customer service experience!

newtom

• Cadet
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #34 on: October 17 2022, 09:22 »
Hello Primozk,
where are you located in HR? I have a 34/2 in Pula and would like to change the saildrive seal next year. Any recommendations for a service company?
Greetings Tom

primozk

• Cadet
« Reply #35 on: October 17 2022, 15:07 »
Hi Tom,

I'm on Rab - ACI Marina Supetarska Draga and the service center located in the marina did the job.

I asked as well Brodogradiliste Punat (they were willing to do), talking to Bavaria they menitioned would be worth to talk to some charter companies with their services (like Pitter /Punat), there was a german service company M.... (forgot the name) in Pula. Hard to recomend - the smaller technicians also tended to avoid such works with the lack of experience.

BR, Primoz

Petef

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #36 on: October 18 2022, 16:15 »
My son and I replaced the seal in a day on my B34 (2007/8), in the boat yard. The seal kit comes with all you need to replace it along with reasonable instructions. As the others here say support the engine and move it forward a few cm's to allow the drive from the engine to disengage and clear the gearbox. The job is fairly simple but not easy. I supported my engine from the boom using both the topping lift and main Halyard to support the boom. I also removed the steps (4 screws) for better access. Then looped a line around the boom (a few times to spread the load) and onto the the engine lifting eye. Had to remove both prop and shaft to get it through the hole in the hull. Replacing was just a case of following the instructions (though I did watch a couple of Youtube vids prior to starting). Hardest part for us was mating the engine back into the gear box. It needs a good shove once lined up ( spent a lot of time trying to line it up but afraid to give it the hard push it needed to bring them together.

Bav32

• First Mate
« Reply #37 on: October 22 2022, 09:03 »
Hardest part for us was mating the engine back into the gear box. It needs a good shove once lined up ( spent a lot of time trying to line it up but afraid to give it the hard push it needed to bring them together.

This was indeed a difficoult job when I did it by myself. I lined up the engine, supported the saildrive and pushed the engine and turned it a bit at the same time, so that the connection between the saildrive and engine would fit together. The best advice I would have wanted is to have measured every point that you can think of, including the hole and saildrive aligment in the bottom. When you do this you can’t make a mistake assemblying.

Baddox

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #38 on: October 27 2022, 20:06 »
I've not done it but have bookmarked this video for when the time comes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Bv7_tAOY4