Author Topic: bavaria 47 2001 need new water tanks at bow  (Read 4609 times)

xmax

• Swab
  • Boat Model: bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2001
bavaria 47 2001 need new water tanks at bow
« on: January 01 2016, 11:14 »
Dear All Happy new year

I have leaking problem at my two forward water tanks
this tanks serve very well for a decade and more but now they had crack on top and during filling start leaking

i want to find what alternatives i have to replace tanks, to bond, to privide some special filling method with floater so to avoid tank pressurization, keeping the high level lower from the top?
i try bonding but with poor results best solution to buy new ones. construction from S.S is possible but i don't like.
from the suppliers of bavaria or other
the measurements of this tanks are stbd tank 130x80x42 and port tank 130x57x45 triangle with conical shape they are marked with some letters as w180 propably this is the type of the tank

waiting to hear how others handle this problem

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: bavaria 47 2001 need new water tanks at bow
« Reply #1 on: January 01 2016, 11:56 »
Hi Xmax, thanks for your good wishes.
I don't think having a filling restriction with floating device will provide either value for money, or peace of mind. The difference in head height of water between the top of the tank and the filler cap will make very little difference in regard to the pressure on the sides or top of the tank. Your problem I think is that your boat most likely had a tank with faulty construction which combined with rapid movement of water, or sloshing within the tank while it was only partially filled, most likely caused the damage. Keep in mind that one atmosphere pressure will support a column of water some 32 feet in height, so the head height of your filler cap would make a difference in pressure of little more than a puff of wind. On the other hand, slamming into a heavy sea will cause the contents of the tank to accelerate forwards and upwards at high speed against the top of the tank, and that will give you more grief than the very slight increase in tank pressure caused by filling to a level within the height of the filling line. In such weather conditions you would most likely be better off filling the tank until it overflows, and not using any water from it until the weather had improved.
However, the foregoing does assume that you only fill using an ordinary hose poked into the filling connection, and not by some method involving coupling the filling hose to a permanently fitted connection that would not allow any excess water to simply overflow. In such instance the hydraulic effect would overcome the strength of the tank in no time at all.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: January 02 2016, 08:30 »
I would look at some plastic welding devices, cheaper than a new tank and useful to have.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: January 02 2016, 11:38 »
The tanks are normally made of PE. You can't glue this material, but it is good weldable. You need PE weld material and a hot air source which can be directed to a narrow spot, for melting the weld material and tank material.
I was thinking that my aft cabin tank was leaking and needed to be replaced. So I saw a bigger cover hole out in my aft cabin bed bottom. By doing this I also cut the tank. Afterwards the tank didn't leak, but the boiler. I repaired the cut in the tank by hot air welding without any problem/leak so far (6 years).
Ger

wellsy

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 42 executive
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #4 on: February 07 2016, 15:54 »
G'day Max  , had similar water tank problem with my 2000  42'  bow tank had very small Crack at front of tank on top  near moulded curve . Could not figure where or why it leaked.one day with hose in empty tank and front hatch open and bed base up I started filling . Here's what happened as tank approached almost completely full it made a popping sound and actually changed shape (flexing) .in short tank was not firmly held by expanding foam used to anchor tank into bow of boat.I purchased  aerosol can of expanding foam and re sealed between tank and hull (tank must be full when resealing)  used a 2 part adhesive / SEALER  Wurth I think it was called  been dry for over a year now  and  subjected to some heavy going   I reckon  small Crack only happened  as a result of flexing .good luck hope this helps  Wellsy

Cassiopeia

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 46 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1997
« Reply #5 on: December 12 2019, 03:17 »
This is way after this thread was last posted to, but I thought I'd add some thoughts that can turn up in someone's search.

We have a 1997 Bavaria 46E. There are 2 200L tanks under the front berth. One of them developed a crack in the top corner edge near the inspection port. I purchased a plastic welding tool (basically a solder iron with a special tip) that came with some LDPE material. I tried to seal the crack using this tool and this material, but was still getting small leaks.

In contacted the tank manufacturer (Cipax.com in Sweden) whom I've dealt with before (they sent us new tank lid covers and seals!!!) about the kind of plastic used. These tanks are MDPE. Laundry detergent bottles are #2 recycle code = MDPE.

We scrounged an empty laundry detergent bottle and I cut strips. I then used my heat gun, and found that the heat gun with the strips of material worked MUCH better and were easier to manage to lay down strips of material that sealed.

Be sure to prep the surface first: use a small wire brush, and clean it.
Doug and Mary
S/V Cassiopeia  1997 Bavaria 46E
Sailing the Puget Sound now, planning for Mexico and maybe the South Pacific in a few years

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #6 on: December 12 2019, 03:45 »
Very useful information Doug, especially the tip about the laundry bottle, thankyou.