Author Topic: Crazed Portlights and Hatches  (Read 21619 times)

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Crazed Portlights and Hatches
« Reply #75 on: May 04 2022, 08:01 »
Hi Salty and all other Bavaria-friends!
….I made 9 new portlight lenses for my Beneteau Oceanis 411. What I thought was the hardest things to figure out was the removal of the fittings and what glue to use, and here I found the answers! And other great tips.  THANK YOU!

I made a film of my project, which also included the routing of the lenses, I hope that can add some inspiration on doing this on your own:
https://youtu.be/U9taRDfnJIY

Regards,
Jakob

Well done Jakob, and thank you for your kind words.

I think you have taken this project of replacing old and crazed portlights to a whole new level with your excellent video and very clear and step by step explanation.

I have a router tool, but lack the confidence to use it and hence why I went to a local sign maker, but your video will provide inspiration for others.

Unfortunately due to health reasons I have sold my boat and only occasionally look back at this website to see how others are coping with the complexities of boat ownership.

Again, well done Jakob, and well done to those others that have also taken up the challenge to change their portlights and hatches on their boats, and without the need to empty their bank accounts in the process !!

Kind regards
Salty.

p_schurli

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 40
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Crazed Portlights and Hatches
« Reply #76 on: May 25 2022, 20:52 »
Hi Salty and all other Bavaria-friends!
Inspired by the method originally posted by Salty I made 9 new portlight lenses for my Beneteau Oceanis 411. What I thought was the hardest things to figure out was the removal of the fittings and what glue to use, and here I found the answers! And other great tips.  THANK YOU!

I made a film of my project, which also included the routing of the lenses, I hope that can add some inspiration on doing this on your own:
https://youtu.be/U9taRDfnJIY

Regards,
Jakob

Congratulations Jakob!
I am sure this is the best boat refit video I have ever seen on youtube. You have a new subscriber!
Regards, Peter
Bavaria 40 <Novara>