Author Topic: Volvo Penta D1 and D2 engines Quality Recall Heads Up  (Read 6774 times)

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
I have just uncovered a Penta Quality issue with the D1-30 (fitted Jan 2017) and other D1 and D2 engines fitted with an MDI (black electronic box on port side of engine that senses engine and communicates to started panel).  They have been failing by either not allowing engine to start or suddenly stopping it.

I raised it with my VP agent to tell me if mine was implicated and he confirmed it was.  The redesigned MDIs (different part number from original) are currently on back order and mine will be replaced as soon as he has one.

VP are not advertising the problem.  The VP agent described it as a voluntary product quality issue.  I also went on line and put my serial number (10 digit number plus letter on end) into the VP site recall page and this also confirmed I am implicated.  The campaign reference is Q0138...advising contact VP agent who will arrange replacement MDI. 

https://www.volvopenta.com/marineleisure/en-en/for-owners/your-engine/recall-information.html

I think implicated engines go back a couple of years or so.

Boatname

Re: Volvo Penta D1 and D2 engines Quality Recall Heads Up
« Reply #1 on: May 31 2018, 15:57 »
I have watched a few of the La Vagabond YouTube’s and although I don’t know the engine model number Riley was definitely crouched over one of his engines changing a black box for the 5th (?) time.

The Outremer factory fix was to somehow start from his other engine ... LV is a cat.

Sorry if this isn’t relevant. 

Jeff Jones

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #2 on: October 15 2018, 13:38 »
Hi Guys, following on from Ricd post in May18.

A couple of weeks ago my D1-30F Volvo Penta engine (new in 2017) would not turn on, display came on for a second and then went blank, turned the cracking batt off on back on and pressed engine start button with the display blank - engine started - but now wouldn't stop (had to use the manual stop lever). After that it wouldn't start at all.

Background, after Ricd posted the recall, I emailed the marina that PDI mine and didn't get a great response... even when I resent the email and the recall note I had to push to get the job booked in.

To cut the long story short..  12 Oct had a new MDI engine controller fitted and all works fine, they also carried out a second recall on the saildrive gear selector level height setting and tightness.

Interesting note, the VP agent had to buy the replacement MDI controller and send the recalled one back to get a credit.

Luckily I am on a UK lake and my repair wasn't time critical... makes you wonder how good the VP support would be in far flung parts of the world.

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
« Reply #3 on: October 17 2018, 10:13 »
Hi Jeff
glade to hear you finally got the new MDI.  Mine was replaced about a month ago.   I had already had the gear selector modification done in January while they carried out my 12 month warranty service.  From memory that was just a torque setting change.  Yes VP seem to be a bit casual about their quality recall responsibilities. 

cheers