Author Topic: Upright Fridge Thermostat  (Read 2402 times)

ITIL MAN

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Upright Fridge Thermostat
« on: April 18 2018, 12:24 »
Having finally fixed my top loading fridge the upright fridge has now decided to freeze everything inside it.  Great for ice making but there is a limit.
Mostly its below freezing even with thermostat set at min.  I suspect the thermostat has failed but not at the boat till later then a short time before we start cruising.  The fridge is the standard upright on 2007 Bavaria 42 under the sinks.

Has anyone had a thermostat issue with these and do you know if a) you can get a thermostat and b) how easy is it to replace if at all possible.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Upright Fridge Thermostat
« Reply #1 on: April 18 2018, 13:23 »
Good job fixing it so well! :-)

Most replace the gas tube thermostat with a programmable electronic one that works much better and costs much less.

I've also added a small radial fan inside the fridge (in the back corner) that circulates air past the evaporator. This makes for much higher efficiency, as it reduces buildup of ice and makes sure there is cold air in all areas, unless very overfilled (the top-loading fridge on our 40 Ocean is huge).
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

ITIL MAN

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: April 18 2018, 13:43 »
The faulty fridge is the front door opening upright fridge thats over working.  If I can get to the thermostat?

Think the one you refer to is the top loader with the compressor and condenser in the cupboard at the bottom.  That works a treat.  Its been insulated with 10mm foam and silver foil inside, fitted with digital thermostat and computer fan cooling the condenser in the space with the compressor.  The problem is the small upright fridge.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: April 18 2018, 14:10 »
Oh sorry, didn't realize you had two. Sounds like you can use on as a freezer then!

Ok, I don't know anything about the upright fridge, but the same thing applies - and to replace the thermostat you'll need to get access to the wiring anyways, no matter which kind it is. The controller will likely be the standard Danfoss/Secop unit or very similar.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

ITIL MAN

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: April 18 2018, 14:26 »
im back at the boat next week so will see if i can get to the wiring and its not sealed too much.