Author Topic: selden inboom roofing system - issues  (Read 3627 times)

aquapore

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
selden inboom roofing system - issues
« on: April 08 2018, 07:55 »
Hi All
I have have had a lot of trouble with my BAV 41 in boom reefing system.

Despite the best efforts of two local rigging companies, the system does not operate properly.

Clearly, there must be an arithetical relationship between the various line lengths, length of boom, position of the internal cars, any mechanical advantage operating on the lines and the angle of the pull of the leach line.

Does any one have an understanding of that relationship. What is the best way to set up from scatch.

Would be grateful for any assistance,

Regards

Aquapore

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: selden inboom roofing system - issues
« Reply #1 on: April 09 2018, 02:36 »
Not sure if I understand your problem. I am assuming your boom reefing is single line reefing, not a roller reefing system.

If it is the single line reefing system ( one line for 1st reef and 1 line for 2nd reef) you may have jams or difficulty reefing if the lines at the end of the boom do not easily go through the reefing clews and back to the boom easily. If you have a sail bag and lazy jacks installed, this may get in the way of the line tied around the boom.

I have also had a birds nest in the boom that jammed up the lines in the boom.

As a start, I would ensure that the line from the aft reefing clew to the boom is vertical, as much as possible and that the line to the roller in the end of the boom is freely moving. Try pulling the line out of the boom at the aft end to see if there is free movement.

If you have too much friction you may need to take the boom apart. There is a post on this a few months ago

Craig
" Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: April 09 2018, 06:12 »
I found in my boom that if the cars are allowed to reach close to the aft end of the boom, that one or other would jam up and then prevent the reefing system from working. The important thing was to determine exactly how short the reefing line needed to be to allow It to do its job, and not to exceed that length. In particular it was the reefing line leading to the forward part of the mainsail that caused the most problem, and since then I’ve marked that line so that it is always fastened with only just enough line to allow the sail to be fully hoisted. That way the car cannot reach the aft end of the boom when the sail is reefed and now it does not jam up.
Unjamming the car usually meant taking the end cap off the boom, and at this point take care not to lose the small plastic wheels if you should take the car out of the boom. The wheels are not attached to anything, they bounce high and have an affinity for sea water - BE WARNED !!

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: April 15 2018, 11:10 »
Check the diameter of the rope used or the reeking lines.  I found that Seldon recommended 10mm for our setup but someone had fitted 14mm lines: the increased friction meant it was a real pain to reef.  Solved by moving to 10mm lines which make life much easier. 

Stockie

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: April 17 2018, 12:45 »
Good Advice above, luckily for me mine works fine.  Except the second reef is not connected.  There is a really good Selden rigging book that covers just about everything Selden related on Bavaria’s
Google Selden Sailmakers Guide.  This has in depth detail and drawings of all the incarnations of Selden single line.

Cheers Richard

aquapore

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #5 on: May 05 2018, 13:11 »
Had the rigger come back to inspect - found that he had cut the luff downhaul line and respliced it make in now too short.

That was the problem.

Hopefully now will be ok

Thanks all for your assistance.

Regards

Aquapore
JAI-DEE