Author Topic: seleden s300 furler jam - fix required  (Read 5437 times)

aquapore

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
seleden s300 furler jam - fix required
« on: January 27 2018, 01:22 »
Hi Folks

My s300 furler is jammed tight. - very tight. I used  brawn instead of brain.

I need help to
1,`Fix the jam and make the unit workable
3.- disassemble the lower module for servicing and preventive maintenance.

In attempting to furl the sale with the jam I have distorted part of the housing. See attached photo.

I an the second owner of this Bav 41 2003 model and I think the there has never been any maintenance done on it since new.

I would like to bring it to top working condition. I have downloaded the manual and parts.

Would appreciate any advice. help.
Regards

Aquapore.

aquapore

• First Mate
Re: seleden s300 furler jam - fix required
« Reply #1 on: January 27 2018, 01:33 »
Hi Folks

Sorry forgot tje attached photograph.

Regards

Aquapore

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: January 27 2018, 07:28 »
Maybe this can help you.
It happened to me several years ago and I had to disassemble the whole lower unit - I do not remember the details but by looking at the exploded viw in the manual I sorted it out.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: January 27 2018, 10:26 »
Hi Aquapore,
Looking at your photo shows some distortion between the furling drum and the line guard which suggests to me that the problem is in the way your furling line has been handled within the drum. Some years ago when my boat was used for charter I had a similar problem.

On removal of the line guard shown in the attached two photos from the PDF link provided by Lyra, I found that one of the arms of the internal "C" shaped spring had folded back on itself (see the picture of the line guard on page 7 of the PDF which shows the spring where it is riveted to the outer cover of the line guard). With part of the spring folding over, it had substantially reduced the amount of space available to house the furling line, and this had resulted in the furling line becoming jammed.

After removing the line guard, I was able to bend the "C" spring back into something which more closely resembled that shown in the picture. The line guard was refitted into place and I've since had no further problems with it.

However, I had wondered what might have caused the spring to fold back in the way that it had, and came to the conclusion that it may have been as a result of the foresail being let out unchecked by over enthusiastic charterers who wanted the sail out as quickly as possible and where perhaps a turn in the furling line had snagged on the end of the "C" spring pulling across and subsequently jamming up the works. Personally I always let the sail unfurl gently and under control, and maybe that's why I've had no further problems with it.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: January 27 2018, 11:01 »
Hi Aquapore

Problem of jams (and fixes) is expanded in this thread - http://bavariayacht.org/forum/index.php/topic,1544.0.html - and the mod I made to the springy 'C' ('fingers' in the original) has cured the jamming, not had another problem since. The other mods to line runs, greasing, etc., just made the line run more easily for furling in a blow.

Cheers
ATB

Mark

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: January 27 2018, 12:35 »
I notice that the new Fulex under Selden name does not have the "Springy shield".

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #6 on: January 27 2018, 15:13 »
I notice that the new Fulex under Selden name does not have the "Springy shield".

Probably because of all the letters in their Customer Service's '...my Furlex jammed at the worst possible moment...' tray.

:) :) :) :) :) :)
ATB

Mark

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #7 on: January 27 2018, 15:51 »
p.s. when you take the outer cowl off, the bolts will try to jump overboard so be prepared...
ATB

Mark

aquapore

• First Mate
« Reply #8 on: January 28 2018, 03:27 »
Thanks for your replies. I will study the manual.

Is it necessary to take down the the genoa.

Also is there any issue with the forestay.

Regards

Robert Wechsler
Aquapore

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #9 on: January 28 2018, 08:03 »
It's not necessary to take down the Genoa, just watch out for the securing screws as they try to abandon ship !!
However, whether any damage has been caused to the forestay, or to the foil around it you will only fully determine once the Genoa has been removed.

You haven't mentioned if all appears ok at the top of your Genoa, so it would be a good idea to take some binoculars and go and stand somewhere a couple of pontoons away and just check that you don't have a halyard wrap around the top part of the forestay. Again, this is discussed in the manual for which Lyra provided the website link, somewhere near to the back of it if I remember correctly. It is a very important piece of advice they give, but which is often overlooked when hoisting the Genoa.

All too often the head of the sail is shackled on to the top swivel, the tack then shackled to the furler attachment point and the sail pulled up through one of the grooves in the foil until the halyard is tight. At that point the halyard is secured within the jammer back in the cockpit, and it is assumed it's all been done right......WRONG !

If the sail has shrunk, or if it was made or cut too short in the first place then the angle between the halyard and the forestay cannot be achieved. Never attach the tack until after the sail has been hoisted as high as it will go, and if you now find that it's too high to permit the tack to be shackled to the furler, then simply attach it using a small line and take several turns of that line through each of the shackles until you are sure the attachment is strong enough, and pull it really tight before securing. Better still get your local sailmaker to come and take a look at your situation and modify the sail if it needs it.

If you get a halyard wrap, it can totally prevent the sail from being furled to the point where on my boat, the charterers on that occasion took the furling line to a winch, and using more brawn than brain they actually snapped the furling line. It was a bit drafty that day and the damage that occurred after they then decided to let go both of the sheets had to be seen to be believed. So that's how important it is to get the angle of the halyard in relation to the forestay correct.

Clivert

• Able Seaman
« Reply #10 on: January 28 2018, 14:33 »
I had a jammed furler on our 2001 34.
A bit of Google searching and I came across the problem with the inner guide.
I followed a few others and took it off.
No problems since as long as a little tension kept on furling line when rolling up the genoa.
Clive
WISH

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
« Reply #11 on: January 29 2018, 08:42 »
Had same problem on 2004 Bav 32 but on a Seldeb 200s.
After removal of metal line drum cover we found that the plastic line guard had folded itself and therefore restricted the available space in the drum as the sail was being furled.
After investigation noticed that on the front of the metal cover there was a missing bolt which secures the plastic line guard to the inside of the drum. So the line guard was only secured with a single rivet and would swivel inside the drum. The line guard was showing signs of ageing with cracks and a small tear so we have ordered a new line guard from All Spars, Plymouth for £7.

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
« Reply #12 on: January 29 2018, 08:47 »
I forgot to add the contact details for All Spars.

Plymouth 01752 266766
Swanwick 01489 876876

Very knowledgeable and helpful.

Fenders

aquapore

• First Mate
« Reply #13 on: January 30 2018, 12:27 »
Thanks for all your help.

Fixed the problem - was as Fenders suggested - plastic line guard had reversed itself and jammed.

Managed to get it off and am reshaping it to original (hopefully) with a couple of spring clamps and the hot Sydney sun.

I refurled the sail and all is good.

Thanks again guys.

Robert Wechsler
(Aquapore