Author Topic: RUDDER BEARINGS AGAIN  (Read 9255 times)

russ

• Swab
  • Live the Dream
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
RUDDER BEARINGS AGAIN
« on: September 14 2012, 23:24 »
HELLO ALL, I need new rudder bearing as mine bang around in the rudder post. My Bavaria 42 is in Mexico and the marine shop doing the repairs cannot locate any. See below

On the JP3 bearings. 
The sole provider for the North America has been the worst to deal with than any other supplier I have ever used.
I ordered these replacement inner balls for the upper and lower bearing over two months ago almost three and
have send countless emails and called many times and this David Loughborough has no answers and does not know
when your parts will be shipped.  I will have no choice
but to re- assemble the rudder and put your boat back in the water until the parts come.  I just cannot afford to keep
your boat in my work space.  Can you please call this guy or email him with you concerns.

Does anyone know where I can buy some?

KAOS

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: BAVARIA 38
  • Boat Year: 1999
Re: RUDDER BEARINGS AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: September 15 2012, 10:20 »
entered in error

russ

• Swab
  • Live the Dream
« Reply #2 on: September 16 2012, 01:01 »
Hi what number is that? I am in Canada.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: September 24 2012, 13:21 »
Hi what number is that? I am in Canada.

It's some guy in Malta that Kaos has promoted a couple of times.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Monique

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: October 01 2012, 18:19 »
Greets.

I got my bearing custom cut at XPC bearing in the US. 

Google them, (they also operate under another name) package your old bearing and ship to them and ask to have an identical bearing made of Vesconite.  The advantage of Vesconite over Teflon is that it does not swell up with water.... better in my opinion.

Worked for me....

GL

russ

• Swab
  • Live the Dream
« Reply #5 on: October 08 2012, 23:49 »
Thanks I would send them to  xpc but they are on the boat in Mexico. Dealing with Bavaria has been a nightmare. I hope to some bearings by November. It has taken 5 months now and I only hope I get them before I head back to Mexico. maybe I will send the old ones yo xpc if they ever show up.

Anthony

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #6 on: November 29 2012, 21:39 »
I had a similar problem with the lower rudder bearing on my 2001 Bav40.
essentially the design components are idiotic. An aluminium outer housing, inside which is a spheroid plastic bearing. Aluminium just loves seawater and the plastic used engorges sea water! What were they smoking during those long Bavarian winters??
I discovered the aluminium had totally corroded around the normally swivelling lower bearing putting pressure on the alreading expanding bearing and seizing it from any movement. The only solution we found was to ream out the hole in the bearing with an engine cylinder reamer by about 1-2mm, lavishly apply silicone grease and return the rudder.... now she turns with ease and I don't need shoulder muscles like Popeye! This is only a short term solution and will be repeated next haul out. The engineers here in Brisbane suggest the long term solution is cutting out the aluminium tube completely and replacing with a woven fibreglass shaft with cutlass bearing.

Sweet As

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #7 on: December 01 2012, 12:07 »
I've just replaced the aluminium housing on ours (2004 Bav36) with a stainless steel custom made housing. Fixed! :)
Sweet As
Bav 36

Bob Mechem

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #8 on: February 11 2013, 07:58 »
I've just replaced the aluminium housing on ours (2004 Bav36) with a stainless steel custom made housing. Fixed! :)
Hi there,
we have the same problem on our 2005, 36- replaced the lower bearing this time last year and now its banging around with 15mm play in all directions again!
Could you expand on your solution with a SS housing,how fitted and what sort of bearing etc.
Thanks, Bob

Sweet As

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #9 on: February 12 2013, 06:57 »
I had a stainless replica of the aluminium housing machined up. Expensive but relative to air freighting a replacement to Australia and still ending up with a corrosion prone fix it made sense.
The bearing is the std Bavaria lower bearing (there was no issue with the upper bearing).
Works fine and I can slap antifouling all over it without fear of it corroding away.

Not sure what is causing your bearing to become loose. My issue was that the aluminium corrosion was causing it to bind on the bearing to the extent that the steering was becoming tight.
Sweet As
Bav 36

Baltic

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: B39
« Reply #10 on: March 04 2013, 21:39 »
Hi

Regards from europe.
We have had same kind of problems..

Check..