Author Topic: Oil filters  (Read 3286 times)

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
Oil filters
« on: March 15 2018, 19:49 »
I have just serviced the engine (MD2020D) on my 2004 B32 using filters, etc found in the boats tool chest. These items came with the boat when I bought her 2 years ago.
I now need to replace the items I have used and have looked at a couple of websites for genuine Volvo parts.
Regarding the oil filter the old one I removed during the service was identical to the one in the tool box. Serial 3840525.
When I search for the correct filter for my engine this serial number is not mentioned as being suitable for my engine, but is listed against other newer engines.
The filter listed for my engine is either 21549544 or 861473.
I am having the same problem with the fan belt as well. The one I put on the engine is 973534. the one listed is the same number but with "R" after the numbers.
I have had no problem with the impeller or fuel filters.

Has anyone had similar problems sourcing the correct parts?

PS: I have been looking at Volspec, Keypart and Asap Supplies.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Oil filters
« Reply #1 on: March 16 2018, 07:48 »
Have you tried looking at Marine Parts Europe? They have a comprehensive parts list: http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/default.aspx

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: March 16 2018, 09:16 »
The R simply means replica part, not genuine Volvo Penta.  I would not worry too much about the serial numbers simply go to say KeyPart on line put in your engine model and it will show you all service parts, both genuine and replica parts that are slightly cheaper. Both work fine.
Another site for cheaper replica parts is ASAP Supplies. These guys also give discount to RYA members

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: March 16 2018, 20:42 »
Look up RK Marine at Hamble, put in engine model and you can find all part numbers.

Fenders

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: March 17 2018, 08:42 »
Thanks for all your feedback.

I just need to be sure I am using the correct parts. I don’t mind if the cost is a smidge more than the cheaper ones. I have been told some filters don’t have a non drain valve, hence the price.

Having read many articles regarding non oem impellers and the potential damage they could inflict I will only use the genuine part.

Fenders

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: March 17 2018, 09:26 »
I have been sailing in boats with Volvo engines[ and others] for 40years and have always used alternative parts due to the high price of Volvo bits . I have never had a problem with any of them , that includes oil ,filters impellors bearings and seals. Geoff

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: March 17 2018, 14:48 »
Put alternative parts into this forum. I started a list of credible manufacturers alternatives.

Volvo do not make anything.

Your choice.

Odysseus
Bad 38
Odysseus

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
« Reply #7 on: March 17 2018, 16:40 »
I think the part number for the MD engines oil filter was changed several years ago.
At any rate - contact Keypart by email - they are very helpful and will tell you exactly which parts you need to order.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Fenders

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: March 17 2018, 23:05 »
I have emailed keypart and await their reply.

Thanks to all.

Fenders