Author Topic: Garmin 300i radio remote problems  (Read 2634 times)

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
Garmin 300i radio remote problems
« on: October 18 2017, 18:56 »
Garmin 300 i radio with cockpit remote mike.
I have been having problems with the sound in the cockpit sometimes I can hear it working in the cabin but no sound coming from the remote mike. Wondered if anybody else has experienced this and what if any solutions were found

Regards Tony Revell  Cruiser 33 2014   Pegatha

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Garmin 300i radio remote problems
« Reply #1 on: October 18 2017, 22:39 »
I just bought one and will be fitting it to my boat when we go for the winter season in December so am interested in the replies on this if I ses the same problem....
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: October 19 2017, 05:39 »
I don't have the Garmin set up that you have, instead mine is an Icom 504 with remote speaker mike in the cockpit, but had the same symptoms of none or very little sound coming from the speaker part of the mike. I sent it back to Icom describing the issue and they fixed it by replacing some internal part.
Other than that it's possible for the pins and sockets in the plugs to get dirty or corrode, so keeping them clean and as well protected from from the weather as is possible, is important. The external socket on the binnacle on my boat has a cover which is always replaced whenever the mike is removed. In addition I have a canvas cover which goes right over the binnacle and down to deck level which also helps to keep it and the instruments dry and well protected.

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: October 19 2017, 18:04 »
This is the 4th Garmin 300i radio I had the others were replaced under guarantee.
I do fit the rubber cap when radio not in use and I do use a binnacle /cockpit table cover when not on the boat.

Regards Tony Revell   Cruiser 33 2014 Pegatha

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 20 2017, 21:25 »
This is the 4th Garmin 300i radio I had the others were replaced under guarantee.
I do fit the rubber cap when radio not in use and I do use a binnacle /cockpit table cover when not on the boat.

I think I'd be tempted to request a refund next time!

I have a 300i with a wireless remote handset for the cockpit, this seems to be more or less OK.