Author Topic: When things go badly wrong  (Read 8750 times)

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
When things go badly wrong
« on: September 24 2017, 11:53 »
The story is about a Bavaria of around 46 feet in length, and which contains some second hand information but with first hand photographs, and describes what happened when something went badly wrong with the lift out.
Apparently the vessel could not be lifted using the boatyards own hoist, and so a portable crane was brought in. Because the crane could not operate from the slipway, the lift took place in an area where the crane could get near enough to the boat but where the boat needed to be lifted at least twenty feet clear of the water in order that it could then be swung over the land to a nearby cradle.
During the lift first one and then the other strops were said to have parted, and the boat fell onto rocks.
The photos below show some of the external areas of damage which although severe in their own right, they bear testament to the remarkable strength that had been built into the hull of this vessel. I have no internal photos, and can only guess at what may have happened to the internal structure and the furniture.
From a distance the hull appeared relatively unscathed, but the devil was in the detail, Some of which is as follows:-

The Other Woman

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 1999
Re: When things go badly wrong
« Reply #1 on: September 25 2017, 08:16 »
Salty

What can one say.
Sorry for your loss.
My heart is always in my mouth when I recover my 36 on the trailer.
But you should get a new one from insurance and think of all the extras you can strip out of the old one.
Mick

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 26 2017, 11:10 »
It is not my boat Mick, and I wasn't there when it happened, hence the comment about secondhand information.
My guess is that the owner will be looking for a new boat and that this one will be written off. The interesting point which may yet have to be determined, will be in regard to who accepts the costs involved. The one good thing, according to my second hand information, is that no one was onboard or hurt during the incident, though I'll bet the crane driver needed a change of underwear !!

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: July 15 2018, 10:46 »
I can guarantee that Landrovers do not float - honest!!

This guy launched his little boat around low water, then went fishing . . . . . . . Ooops!!!
Menai Straits Beaumaris Saturday 14 July 2017

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: May 13 2019, 19:28 »
My guess is that the owner will be looking for a new boat and that this one will be written off. The interesting point which may yet have to be determined, will be in regard to who accepts the costs involved.

Back in Holyhead after the winter, and the dropped Bavaria referred to at the start of this thread was seen to have been moved and is now undergoing repairs.

While the boat was only viewed from the outside, it was evident that hull repairs in way of where the keel is attached were in progress, and the rudder and it’s bent rudder shaft have been removed.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: May 17 2019, 12:02 »
I'm amazed that the hull around the rudder bearing looks intact, considering the force required to bend that rudder post.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #6 on: May 17 2019, 12:40 »
I'm amazed that the hull around the rudder bearing looks intact, considering the force required to bend that rudder post.

It looks like most of that force was absorbed by the rudder post and tangs tearing away from the foam filled fibreglass shell of the rudder, and the top split open and got crushed against the hull.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: August 12 2021, 04:17 »
Going back to the first posting above, herewith an update, and some photos of the same vessel. Now almost four years after the original incident, and where it is evident externally that repairs have been carried out and are nearing completion. The vessel now has a new mast and rigging including a new furling system for the genoa, and a very much needed new rudder. Repairs have also been carried out in way of the keel, the vessel now appears resplendent with a new coating of antifouling and with the hull having been polished, and a drop down bow thruster has also been fitted.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: August 21 2022, 21:35 »
Repairs to this boat were completed earlier this year (2022) and the boat has been launched. The new owner has taken one of Holyhead Sailing Club’s swinging moorings where the boat is currently moored.

Laysula

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 350 lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1994
« Reply #9 on: August 22 2022, 12:07 »
Be interesting to know who paid and how it was relaunched.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: February 24 2023, 20:28 »
There’s a rumour going around that it was a local guy who bought the wreck from its insurers, and had it repaired within the boatyard next to the now largely defunct Holyhead Marina. A new or maybe secondhand mast was purchased and fitted as also was a rudder, and the hull in way of the keel was repaired. Rigging replaced and new or possibly second hand sails fitted and after all other refurbishments sorted, the boat was launched and spent much of last year on one of Holyhead Sailing club moorings.