Author Topic: Some Advice Please !!  (Read 2532 times)

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
Some Advice Please !!
« on: August 15 2017, 09:12 »
Some advice please,
 A very good friend of ours has just bought a second boat, it's a Morgan Giles 30 from 1982 (I think).
There is no genoa track and no suitable blocks on the side deck for the Genny sheets.
His plan is to simply attach a couple of blocks to the aluminium toe-rail.
The toe-rails are very similar to those on most Bavarias'. Is this safe?, (the loads on the Genny sheets are enormous).
I was told by the surveyor who inspected our current boat never to attach anything loadbearing  to the aluminium toe-rail as they are not designed to take it.

We are a little concerned as his plan is to shortly sail the boat from the West Coast of Scotland to the Canaries !!.
Any thoughts would be appreciated as I've never heard of this being done before,

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Some Advice Please !!
« Reply #1 on: August 15 2017, 10:06 »
It is not uncommon the use an aluminium toerail for blocks - indeed for a long time in the 80's onwards it was a big selling feature particularly with the slotted variety. However they were very firmly attached, usually bolted through the hull deck joint (unlike Bavarias where they are just screwed on the top).

Not sure I would do what he proposes without being absolutely sure it was designed to take the loads, and if he is going off ocean sailing then better to do the job properly and through bolt a track to the deck with a large backing plate underneath.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
Re: Some Advice Please !!
« Reply #2 on: August 15 2017, 10:44 »
Not sure I would do what he proposes without being absolutely sure it was designed to take the loads, and if he is going off ocean sailing then better to do the job properly and through bolt a track to the deck with a large backing plate underneath.

Thanks Symphony, the above is exactly what we suggested.
Though I was unaware that some boats from the 80's did in fact rig the genny sheets in this fashion, the absence of a track may indeed suggest this was the case with the MG 30.......still don't fancy it though.