Author Topic: Garmin GHP Reactor Autopilot installation  (Read 2871 times)

Joe

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1998
Garmin GHP Reactor Autopilot installation
« on: August 14 2017, 09:57 »
Hi All,

I?m presently preparing the installation of a new Garmin GHP Reactor autopilot system on my B38 Ocean. Now I?m a bit unaware about the correct CCU mounting location. According to the manual

-   the CCU connectors must point toward the bow
-   the base of the CCU must be at a right angle to the roll and pitch axis of the boat
-   the CCU must be located near the center of rotation of the boat and slightly toward the front, if necessary
-   the best location is close to the centerline of the boat, lower in the boat and slightly forward in the boat

I assume to the roll and pitch axis on my boat will be abt. 1m in front of the companionway where definitely is no place to mount the CCU. But It?s difficult to find the right place if I want to consider the above instruction and get the best performance out of the CCU.

How is this solved on your boat and where is the CCU mounted?

Any information will be helpful

Thanks
Joe

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Garmin GHP Reactor Autopilot installation
« Reply #1 on: August 14 2017, 10:35 »
As I understand it from reading the installation instructions, you can mount the CCU in any orientation.  The criteria you listed are only if you want to avoid the step of defining north in the set-up procedure.

On my 2014 Cruiser 37, Bavaria factory-fitted the CCU in the wardrobe locker in the aft cabin.

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Garmin GHP Reactor Autopilot installation
« Reply #2 on: August 16 2017, 22:05 »
Plus one on location not mattering too much as long as it is away from interference. Mine is also factory fitted in a Bavaria Vision 46 is in the port side aft cabin hanging locker.... worked fine until my better half loaded all the canned foods for our voyages down island in the locker next to the hanging wardrobe  ;D

I did three calibration circles before I looked in the lockers !!
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46