Author Topic: Retro install windlass B33 Cruiser 2006  (Read 3455 times)

jfloyer

• Swab
  • Bavaria 33 Cruiser 2006
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Retro install windlass B33 Cruiser 2006
« on: August 08 2017, 16:04 »
I would love to see any images of retro-installed windlasses to see how they have been mounted. I have seen the possibility of putting in a SS plate at the of back of the anchor locker hatch but how is it fitted to ensure strength?
I see that there is a switch of the panel above the nav table for a winch but is it likely to be wired in if the boat was delivered without windlass?
Thanks. Jim.
It's taken so long to get here I can't consider turning back.

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Retro install windlass B33 Cruiser 2006
« Reply #1 on: August 12 2017, 12:41 »
Hi
I retro fitted a windlass to my B34 2000 using a 6mm SS plate mounted to back of anchor locker.  I had the plate made to a plywood template I made and the engineering workshop also punched out the bolt holes for the deck fitting and the windlass mounting template holes into the SS sheet.  If you look at the attached pic of the mounting and the crude drawing I have just made of the SS plate you should get the idea.  The plate is mounted to the underside of the deck below the locker lid.  I used a low profile windlass so that when mounted the lid closed and the chain to now roller angle was no more than 5°.
It looks simple and works perfectly.  Obviously when at anchor I have a snubber hook to the chain tied off at the deck cleats so that the windlass assembly does not take any load.  It only comes under load when retrieving the anchor.

On the electrics:  I run the windlass off of the domestic battery bank (I have 250Ahr) which are mid-ship under stb side seating. I considered a dedicated windlass battery in the bow but was unhappy with a battery located there in a big sea. Although it means running the heavy cables all the way from battery bank to bow it means I did not need to alter the existing battery charging set up. In any case the engine is on when retrieving anchor.  The anchor switch on the panel was not wired.  I had to install a breaker switch dedicated to windlass under stb seat.

sunshine

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Retro install windlass B33 Cruiser 2006
« Reply #2 on: August 14 2017, 18:49 »
My Bav 30 had an aftermarket windlass installed when I bought it, in a similar configuration to what you are looking for. As with all bavs, if you don't opt for factory fit windlass, they cut the shelf back leaving you with a bit of work to do. Main advantage of a vertical windlass mounted on the remaining bit of shelf is it leaves room to actually put the anchor in the locker - handy if picking up a mooring buoy. My install was poor - only 2 bolts actually bearing the weight. Also, the run from bow roller to capstan was around 15 degrees meaning the chain didn't enter the capstan straight so the chain could jump off. I reinstalled the windlass by having a box made up that lifted the windlass up and also inclined it to get a straight run on. This was all a bit of a hassle to fabricate in mild steel then galvanise. If I was starting from  scratch, I'd probably install a horizontal windlass, but I had a vertical, including a hole cut down through the back of the shelf and into the front cabin, so I was a case of making the best of it. Attached photos should help. PM me if you want more info. Windlass is South Pacific and designed to be mounted proud on deck, not on a shelf under the locker lid.