Author Topic: B38 Bow Thruster Installation  (Read 3533 times)

Gordon Valentine

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
B38 Bow Thruster Installation
« on: July 02 2017, 16:44 »
Hi , we have a 2003 B38 , due to the open and cross winds at times in our Marina getting back in has been quite difficult and stressful to say. We are now looking at having a Bow thruster installed and would be grateful to hear from anyone who has carried out this installation , plenty Videos on UTube etc but nothing specific . Any advice on what Type is best and if anyone has any photos , costs etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Gordon

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: B38 Bow Thruster Installation
« Reply #1 on: July 02 2017, 18:01 »
I can recommend a Sidepower thruster www.side-power.com Which are now factory fit on new Bavarias.

Your biggest challenge will be fitting the tunnel, particularly if you have a water tank up front as you may well find the ideal place for the tunnel is where the tank is. Fitting the tunnel is probably best done by a professional but installing the motor and power is more of a DIY job. You do have to run heavy cables, either to charge a dedicated battery if you go that route or from the main batteries.

You don't say where you are located but if south coast of UK then Osmotech in Hamble Point are the agent. I would guess fitting is likely to be in the £4-5k range. That was what I found out when thinking of fitting one to my old 37 (and losing the water tank). In the end I bought a new 33 with a factory fit that cost around £3000.

Gordon Valentine

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: July 02 2017, 21:14 »
Thanks for your advice and help on this one Symphony, we are based in Fethiye , Turkey , but are UK citizens, you are correct in your advice on getting a professional to fit the Tunnel , this was our assumption also , as I am an Electrical Engr the motor and associated equipment was to be taken on by myself , but as you say the forward water tank may be an issue and this is something we certainly do not want to loose although the Tunnel Thruster Type is our first Preference . Will check out the website you suggested , thanks .

artemis

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: July 03 2017, 05:44 »
I Installed and exturn external bow thruster on my bavaria 34 its shallow at the front so you cannot install the tunnel, I sail single handed most of the time so it was to assist with coming alongside.

Its a cpl of years old now but it cost me around £2400 did the would myself and a friend it can be fitted in a morning and back in the water but to be in the safe-side to let the mastic cure leave it overnight.

I dont have any photos buy see you tube
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=exturn+bow+thruster

Mike
Artemis

Atlantica

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: August 04 2017, 11:45 »
Hi!
My B38 (2003) has retrofitted side-power installed just aft from water tank. Works perfectly. Installation made by previous owner. In the picture there's missing power cabling and battery clamps and straps.