Author Topic: converting from Campingaz to US propane bottles  (Read 2746 times)

Cassiopeia

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 46 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1997
converting from Campingaz to US propane bottles
« on: June 13 2017, 01:02 »
We are the newest owners of our 1997 46E. She was built for the European market, I guess, since everything is labeled in German, and she has the blue bottle Campingaz cylinders. We bought her in the Caribbean and brought her to the States, and are exploring options for modifying the propane setup.

The boat has a locker under the transom seat that fits a single cylinder.

Have any other Bavaria sailboat owners made a conversion? What did you do?

I'm wide open to various suggestions.

Doug
Doug and Mary
S/V Cassiopeia  1997 Bavaria 46E
Sailing the Puget Sound now, planning for Mexico and maybe the South Pacific in a few years

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: converting from Campingaz to US propane bottles
« Reply #1 on: June 13 2017, 09:28 »
Think all you need to do is swap the bottle and the regulator. Check that the cooker is dual Butane/Propane - most modern cookers are. While you are doing it, may be a good idea to change the whole delivery system, at least the flexible hoses as they have a limited life. The original Bavaria installation uses poor quality fittings. Big job as requires removal of a lot of cabin trim to access pipes. When I did mine I dd all the time consuming work and the gas engineer did the installation.

You may find the standard locker restrictive for bottle size, but the solution is to build a bigger gas tight locker draining overboard inside the cockpit locker.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
Re: converting from Campingaz to US propane bottles
« Reply #2 on: June 13 2017, 13:41 »
Yes, just switch the bottle and regulator.  I did it the other way (US to EU).