Author Topic: Saildrive anode is turning  (Read 2837 times)

altertraum

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Saildrive anode is turning
« on: May 28 2017, 08:31 »
The 2 screws of my sail drive anode ring are lost. It is the one-piece type for a VP D2-55 saildrive, not the 2 pieces anode. So to fix it the prop has to be taken off etc.

Now the anode ring is turning and producing a tak-tak noise. I am wondering if I should take the ship out and have the anode fixed or if this has time till the next antifouling service is done (in half a year). Does anybody know, what happens if I continue cruising with that problem?

Best Cornelius

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Saildrive anode is turning
« Reply #1 on: May 28 2017, 09:52 »
I would definitely do something about that soon. The anode spinning will cause wear on the saildrive housing and prop, not to mention rapidly wear the much softer zinc itself, which will soon break apart, leaving you without anodic protection. It could even wedge itself between prop and housing sideways causing real damage.

It doesn't have to be an immediate liftout though, if you want to bodge it until then, apply some underwater epoxy putty (plumber's supply shop, £5 - belongs in every boats spare part locker) to fix the anode in place - but you'll have to make sure it still has electric contact to the saildrive housing, which may be tricky. Next time, put some medium strength Loctite (blue) on those bolts (and the one holding the prop cone).
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: May 28 2017, 17:01 »
Hi Cornelius

Yngmar is right - it needs checking sooner rather than later. Drying out next to pilings will allow you to try Yngmar's temporary fix. At the least, it'll clarify what needs doing and allow you to plan accordingly.

Welcome to the forum - hope we can be of help...
ATB

Mark

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: May 28 2017, 18:54 »
The electrical contact is through the screw attachment, so not a good idea to delay fixing it properly.

altertraum

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: May 29 2017, 10:25 »
Thank you for your replies. I think I will try to lift her out today.

I told the Sardinian guy who did the antifouling works to carefully secure the screws with loctite last time, but I think he didn't and he guessed me to be hysterical person.

It is the second time that this happens to me. I also lost 2 times my prop due to a poor installation without loctite. It is crazy, but you definitely have to be on the scene if critical works like that a carried out.

Thank you so much for your comments, honestly I knew that but I hoped that some reasons to avoid that work would pop up ...
Best Cornelius

altertraum

• Swab
« Reply #5 on: May 30 2017, 07:35 »
So I lifted her today and had the job done. The anode was still o.k., the 2 screws lost and the prop would have been gone soon  ... also no Loctite

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #6 on: May 30 2017, 08:28 »
I had the same problem last week. B42.  This year was the first year in the 40 years of owning  a boat that I allowed the professionals to do any service work!! Always done these things myself in the past.  Looks like I'll have to do the work myself from now on.