Author Topic: Furling Line Foot Block/Cleat Blowout  (Read 1813 times)

battuta

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 31
  • Boat Year: 2009
Furling Line Foot Block/Cleat Blowout
« on: May 27 2017, 19:50 »
Had a failure of my portside Rutgerson foot block/cleat on my 2009 B31 Crusiser a few days ago while running under a reefed jib in 35 knot winds. As the photo shows, the cam turned right through the wheel and the housing blew apart. Needless to say it all caused some drama and jury rigging (and as a temporary solution I switched the furling line to run on the inside block of the double stack)...

Anyway, my question is does anybody know whether the backing plate and hardware for these block/cleats is glassed in or will fall out when the 2 bolts are undone? It's easy for me to get a new block/cleat from Rutgerson, but access to the back side is blocked by the entire headliner in the aft cabin, so I'm worried if I unscrew the bolts then hardware on the other side will fall off (or will it?).

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some advice or experience on this.

Riyad
s/v "Battuta" (2009 B31)
Vancouver, Canada

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Furling Line Foot Block/Cleat Blowout
« Reply #1 on: May 27 2017, 22:45 »
Most of the deck gear is attached with machine screws into tapped aluminium plates bonded into the GRP, so suspect just undoing the screws (if you can!) will allow you to remove the whole block.

However, you may wish to consider replacing it with a Harken ratchet block with cam cleat attached to the forward leg of the pushpit. Far superior action and brings the reefing line closer to the helm.