Author Topic: QL Water Heater Element?  (Read 2802 times)

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
QL Water Heater Element?
« on: May 17 2017, 08:13 »
Having solved the leak I now find that the 800w Heater Element is faulty. How easy is it to change Element, do I need to drain the Heater & where can I buy a new Element?

Thanks,
John

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: QL Water Heater Element?
« Reply #1 on: May 17 2017, 18:16 »
Hi John.
on my bavaria there were no isolating valves so i had to drain both the hot water heater and one of the water tanks . the 3 port 2 way valve doesnt have a completely off position. to remove the element is quite fidly as there was not much manouvering space. my element had blown up so much that it wouldnt get through the boss hole . had to use a jubilee clamp to be able to remove it. i replaced both the element and thermostat. got it from penguin .  http://www.penguineng.com/. had to phone them and pay by card around £40  its a 1 1/2 inch boss on mine. will go to the boat on friday and can get you the part numbers if you wish.(ps in spain these elements are less then 10 euros. will bring some back on my next trip)

Regards .
Abby.

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: May 17 2017, 20:27 »
Hi Abby,
Ours is 22 litre from 2005/6. Are you sure it must be drained to remove the Element? A friend says it's not necessary.
Part number would be helpful.

John

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
« Reply #3 on: May 17 2017, 20:42 »
yes john. the element sits on the side of the heater about halfway. so if you dont drain, you will have water running down your bilges. mine is a 2005 and i didnt have isolating valves. will get you part numbers on friday .
regards
Abby

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: May 17 2017, 21:46 »
My Calorifier from 2006 rusted through in 2015. I've now got some Italian job that has an anode which can't be sourced of course. Not sure if I was unlucky with my calorifier or do they all tend to rust through after a certain time?