Author Topic: New Sails recommendations  (Read 3232 times)

jase71

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
New Sails recommendations
« on: May 15 2017, 21:44 »
Hi guys,

I have a 2003 Bavaria 32 with slab reeves main and curled genoa with the original Elvstrom sails.  I'm currently looking at replacing them with new sails and figure I will probably replace with new Elvstrom sails.  However, before I do, any recommendations on other brands or should I stick with standard Bavaria fit?

Regards

Jase

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: New Sails recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 15 2017, 22:29 »
There is a huge choice of sails - both materials and cuts as well as many different sailmakers to choose from. you do not say where you are locate, but the advice is usually to go to a respected local sailmaker (or more than one) and ask their advice and quotations. Do not buy OE spec Elvestrom. They are poor sails and poor value.

As with any major purchase it is helpful if you do some research first so that you have some understanding of the different choices that are available.

Suggest you visit the following websites www.kempsails.com www.crusadersails.com Both of these are very well established firms and put a lot of information on their sites to help you make your choice. They both make their sails in the UK but will ship anywhere in the world. There are of course many others who are good and I am only suggesting these two because they have a good reputation and i am a satisfied customer of both, but particularly the first as they have made all my sails for the last 25 years - the latest job making the standard Elvestrom sails on my new 33 work better.

Hope this helps.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: May 16 2017, 10:38 »
100% agree with Symphony on this, both in regard to Kemp Sails (made my current main sail), and in regard to calling in someone local. Having said that, Kemp Sails are not local to me in North Wales, but they would be for jase71. However, as Symphony mentioned, they put a lot of information up on their web site such that I did the measurements for the main sail myself but using their guidance, and they confirmed from their records that my measurements matched those they had on record for a 2002 Bavaria 36. They made the sail, it fitted perfectly, and has been in use for the last three or four years.

jase71

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: May 18 2017, 22:32 »
Thanks Symphony and Salty, much appreciated.  Some good advice there. Thank you

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #4 on: May 18 2017, 22:50 »
I question the UV resistance of the materials Kemp sails is using. My mainsail is ready for replacing after 5 - 6 years of use (a few weeks per year and when not in use covered by the lazy bag) in the mediterranee. I also ordered the lazy bag from them. After again 5 years the belt material of the click closures is fully gone. In comparison, other items even older with similar belts but not from Kemp are in good condition. So I am not satisfied with them. My new main will not be a Kemp sail.
Ger

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: May 18 2017, 23:00 »
Well, they use exactly the same materials as other sailmakers. i have a suit of sails Rob made for me in 1992 (for another, very well used boat) that are still in usable condition. The stack pack of the same date was replaced 3 years ago. suggest you talk to them if you are unhappy with the service you had from the sail.

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #6 on: May 18 2017, 23:31 »
I sent them an e-mail about the problem, which was replied by mr Kemp. No satisfactory solution, not any help. The sails were bought by the Sailing Academy in Gib, 1 year before I bought the boat. The lazy bag I bought also from Kemp after the boat was transferred to me.
Last year sailing from Spain to Ibiza and later back, the yarn of the head of the Genua as well as the clew broke. Later in the trip also the clew of the mainsail broke. The UV resistance of the yarn used is very questionable. The cloth of the mainsail lost its strength fully near the leech. The Genua I take from the boat when I leave back to Holland. So the cloth of this sail is in a better condition, but not the yarn as prooved last year.
Ger.

Trundletruc

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #7 on: May 20 2017, 12:18 »
Had a set of sails made by Crusader in 2012. No problems except a bit of wear where the jib goes into the luff groove. Super shape and make the boat point great on the beat. We have an in mast furling mainsail though- so quick, so easy!