Author Topic: rudder shaft seal  (Read 4401 times)

mowa

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: B39 Cr
  • Boat Year: 2005
rudder shaft seal
« on: May 15 2017, 17:22 »
Yesterday I was inspecting the rudder of my 2005-B29cr (more than a year have passed since the last time I revised it) and I found the seal of the rudder shaft not in the good condition I remember. I found some rust and the top screw clip somewhat loose. I was planning to get the boat out of the water after the summer. I need to change the seal or/and the rubber tube urgently or it can be refited with the boat on the water and wait? Some advise?. Many thanks.

artemis

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: rudder shaft seal
« Reply #1 on: May 15 2017, 19:16 »
Hi There

I changed mine out of the water. Just remember to have enough height to get the rudder out of your wanting to take it fully or have it where you dig a hole to drop it out.

As for the bearing they cost a fortune they this site this is where I bought mine cost a fraction of the price

Rgds
Mike
Artemis
B34.

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
« Reply #2 on: May 15 2017, 21:43 »
The best option is not to use a conventional seal as this will corrode. Have a nylon cap with a captive internal o-ring made at a machine shop. Mine has been in place for the past 10 years and looks and works perfectly. You will need to at least drop your rudder about 6" to be able to remove the old seal and replace it. If you need a sketch just send me an e-mail and I'll be happy to oblige.

mowa

• First Mate
« Reply #3 on: May 16 2017, 08:49 »
The best option is not to use a conventional seal as this will corrode. Have a nylon cap with a captive internal o-ring made at a machine shop. Mine has been in place for the past 10 years and looks and works perfectly. You will need to at least drop your rudder about 6" to be able to remove the old seal and replace it. If you need a sketch just send me an e-mail and I'll be happy to oblige.

Many thanks, I sent you an email with my address.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: May 17 2017, 03:15 »
I've bought my replacement from http://www.easternseals.co.uk/ and it was a
Code: [Select]
60 x 100 x 10 R23 NBR OIL SEAL. That's 60mm inner diameter, 100mm outer. They put a stainless spring in for me and charged me only £5 plus VAT and shipping.

You have to drop the rudder to replace it. On my boat, this was more difficult than it should be, due to very poor alignment of the rudder tube with the post. From the wear and distortion on your seal, it looks like it might be the same situation on yours too. I've slathered the seal in silicone grease before installation to lubricate and protect it from water.

Failure of the seal is not critical, it's fairly high above the waterline and only keeps some minor splash out.

Alternatively you can replace the seal, or both the seal and the rubber part of the tube with one of Jefa's neoprene gaiters: http://www.jefa.com/products/sealing/sealing.htm
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: May 17 2017, 06:05 »

Failure of the seal is not critical, it's fairly high above the waterline and only keeps some minor splash out.

In still water I'd agree, but I've noticed even on my very lightly powered (MD2020) driven B36, that when under power the transom sits low enough for the bottom of the transom and hence the rudder post seal, to be several inches under water. Increasing engine rpm to full, and the transom ladder stowage is almost in the water, so it's worthwhile to know that the seal is doing its job and the boat is not about to sink under you. The leverage from the power of the propeller at the bottom of the sail drive some distance from, and well below the centre of buoyancy has quite some effect.

mowa

• First Mate
« Reply #6 on: May 18 2017, 14:39 »
I've bought my replacement from http://www.easternseals.co.uk/ and it was a
Code: [Select]
60 x 100 x 10 R23 NBR OIL SEAL. That's 60mm inner diameter, 100mm outer. They put a stainless spring in for me and charged me only £5 plus VAT and shipping.

I checked the dimensions for any size difference and it matches my boat. Thanks for the info.