Author Topic: Raymarine seatalk power to NG  (Read 3262 times)

DT

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2010
Raymarine seatalk power to NG
« on: May 12 2017, 13:44 »
Hi all
Fitting Raymarine A77 to binnacle. Having a bit of trouble with powering the converter . I have a red , yellow and shield coming from the autopilot that terminates in individual connectors, connected to seatalk on autopilot ST60 head .
I assume red is positive and shield is neg and connect those to NG converter leaving the yellow data connected to ST60.
Is this right?

Regards

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Raymarine seatalk power to NG
« Reply #1 on: May 12 2017, 14:11 »
These may help. 1st is the Spur colour wiring; 2nd shows the NMEA connections (page 18). These confirm what you suspect.

DT

• Second Mate
« Reply #2 on: May 12 2017, 23:56 »
Thanks Dawntreader.
I will head back down to the boat today and play with it again. What confused me was I was not getting 12v across the red and black connections but the data was powered. I then reversed what I had done and the ST60 system powered up after a min or two . I will play a bit longer before I get an expert to do it , "a man has got to know his limitations" Clint.
The instal of the MFD was made easier by Bavaria having supplied the power wiring for a chart plotter in that position already, nice, danka sehr.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: May 13 2017, 07:35 »
Thanks Dawntreader.
I will head back down to the boat today and play with it again. What confused me was I was not getting 12v across the red and black connections but the data was powered. I then reversed what I had done and the ST60 system powered up after a min or two . I will play a bit longer before I get an expert to do it , "a man has got to know his limitations" Clint.
The instal of the MFD was made easier by Bavaria having supplied the power wiring for a chart plotter in that position already, nice, danka sehr.

I have successfully replaced my C80 MFD with the A9 series. This includes the CHIRP RADAR and a legacy AIS transponder. This upgrade entailed the use of the SeaTalk converter. It all works fine, however, I now have to power-up the equipment from the power panel in the correct sequence in order to get it all to work together e.g. the 'accessories' have to be powered after the MFD so that it can 'see' them when it boots up.

DT

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: May 13 2017, 08:29 »
Just got back from the boat and I have found if i don't switch on the C80 in the nav area there is no power thru to the red /black wiring harness for the ST6002 instrument (my autopilot to head is without a seatalk plug), that is not the way that it used to work. Reading your post suggests to me that something similar might be happening with the convertor i.e. it won't turn itself on until the C80 is on . I will turning it off after start up and see if the sea talk convertor stays powered and thus the ST60 instruments.
I will look to updating the flash/software on the convertor in an attempt to fix. If that helps, Ill let you know. Meanwhile I lost a half day that I will never get back.
The raymarine manuals are confusing regarding power for convertor , suffice to say it can be powered thru the sea talk 1 system.

Satisfying and relieving all at the same time when it works .......relievafying......new English word.