Author Topic: Bilge pump change over  (Read 2392 times)

Club 56

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2013
Bilge pump change over
« on: May 08 2017, 08:14 »
My Vision 42 came with standard bilge pump which is switched on/off from the control panel.
Thinking of changing over to a float switch type with alarm. Would like to know if anyone has done this on their Bav. Any issues they had or hints appreciated.

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Bilge pump change over
« Reply #1 on: May 08 2017, 08:41 »
hi.
Also fit a one way valve to prevent the pump from excessive running. i found the float switches dont have a decent differential and when the pump stops the water in the pipe flows back, and pump keeps on cycling. Are you going to connect the power feed for the alarm permanently connected? or do you leave your house batteries on?

Happy sailing

Abby

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: May 08 2017, 12:05 »
I just bought a rule float switch and wired it in, no need to change the actual pump.

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 08 2017, 12:36 »
I have a Vision 46, welcome to the Vision club!

I just wired in a separate float switch in the circuit. Leave the manual switch on and the float switch will complete the circuit if needed....

There is another thread on fitting a separate high water alarm with a float switch and you might consider that as a back up alarm.

I have both. I also have a second manual switched bilge pump back up as well...... Probably more work recommendations than you wanted !

Cheers

Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #4 on: May 08 2017, 15:46 »
Not same boat model, but I guess the connections for the bilge pump are standard throughout the models and years - I left the original circuit untouched and added a float switch connected directly to the battery.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Sen Mora

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #5 on: May 09 2017, 21:59 »
I have the same arrangement as Kibo on B41-2003. But it never stops to amaze me that there are limber holes only in the area of the keel bolts, there must be 10 zones which do not drain, all of them  being potential swimming pools. Those under head modules nearly impossible to pump out. In other words any leaks, other than around keel bolts, would have to overflow floor before water gets to bilge pump. Not a clever design.