Author Topic: Gas lifting stay for bench seat on Bavaria 38, circa 2004  (Read 3131 times)

Bob Hill

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2004
We want to fit a gas lifting stay similar to the on for the engine hatch to the hinged bench saloon seat on our Bavaria 38. Has anyone done this and can advise on appropriate make/model/strength of stay? Thanks

mikeiso1192

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: Gas lifting stay for bench seat on Bavaria 38, circa 2004
« Reply #1 on: April 20 2017, 11:19 »
Having seen this on this forum:
http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php/topic,82.msg352.html#msg352
I did this same mod SWMBO loves it - no more cracked heads.
Can't give details at the moment as DM is out in Greece. Will be there in 10 days time and will try to remember to get details and dimensions for you.
Do remember that this was an inexpensive mod as the gas strut was sourced at the local car breakers - being a tail strut from a hatchback car.
Mike

pebbles

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 46 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
I have done this mod on my Bav 46. Added a single gas strut to the forward end of the seat. It is rated at 200kg. I simple got a mobile car gas strut repairer around. He was able to pressurise the strut to the required amount. It took 2 or 3 times to get it right. The problem is that the strut lifts one side on the seat only. It would have been better to buy two struts, one at each end then the seat would lift evenly.

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
On my 39C I used a pair of gas springs that I bought from a local hardware store. They work well. Raph