Author Topic: Best adhesive for re-bedding rubrail on transom  (Read 4150 times)

Sam Ward

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
Best adhesive for re-bedding rubrail on transom
« on: March 23 2017, 22:20 »

The attached photo shows rubrail on transom which has come loose despite former owner's efforts to re-bed this.  Has anyone run into this problem before?  There are lots of adhesives one might use here but I want to make sure next repair does the trick.  Any recommendations?

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Best adhesive for re-bedding rubrail on transom
« Reply #1 on: March 24 2017, 06:24 »
Do a search under "transom bumper" in the root of the 'Bavaria Yacht Help' section - pick a solution  ;D

ps My recommendation is here: http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php/topic,1639.msg9615.html#msg9615
Rubber still in place 4 years later  ;)

Stockie

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: April 01 2017, 00:59 »
Well mine is secured with self tapers, obviously i now know this is not original.  But it seems o secure it ok!  On a side note, hull cleaner cleans it up nicely.
Cheers Richard

Sweet As

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #3 on: April 05 2017, 10:24 »
The rub rail on our Bav36 2004 remains securely attached. However, it has progressively developed black spots that despite all efforts with a broad range of cleaners and solvents we have been unable to remove. Has anybody found a good way to remove this discolouration? I will upload a pic when I next get out to the boat.
Sweet As
Bav 36

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: April 07 2017, 16:19 »
I would give no-nails a go.  I use it to bond my saildrive external rubber flap to the GRP and it lasted several years, fully submerged.  Cheap and worth a try.  Obviously need to clean and degrease surfaces before re-seating.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 07 2017, 21:35 »
The rub rail on our Bav36 2004 remains securely attached. However, it has progressively developed black spots that despite all efforts with a broad range of cleaners and solvents we have been unable to remove. Has anybody found a good way to remove this discolouration? I will upload a pic when I next get out to the boat.

The best stuff I've found for mould/mildew is HG Mould Spray, it's well worth a try.

Sam Ward

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
« Reply #6 on: May 07 2017, 13:49 »

Thank you all for your replies.  I dug out the old adhesive, lightly sanded the hull area under the rub rail, cleaned the area a bit with acetone, washed acetone off with water and then re-bedded with 3M 4200 and a series of c-clamps and a rubber mallet cushioned by cloth to ensure bumper was all the way on.  Some of the adhesives that were suggested to me were not readily available in the U.S., but 3M 4200 seems to have done the trick and is not as permanent as the 3M 5200 I was considering early on.  It seems to be a solid fix, but I will repost if I learn otherwise.

As an aside, I ended up cleaning the rub rail with acetone and then rinsing the acetone off with water.  I probably removed some of the finish on the rub rail but it is back to brilliant white and I will probably hit it again with hull cleaner and wax.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #7 on: May 07 2017, 18:45 »
As an aside, I ended up cleaning the rub rail with acetone and then rinsing the acetone off with water.  I probably removed some of the finish on the rub rail but it is back to brilliant white and I will probably hit it again with hull cleaner and wax.

The rear bumper is PVC and cleans very well with PVCu solvent cleaner for plastic window frames, cheaply available: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p31464?table=no

Same stuff also works on everything else made of PVC, which includes fenders and the plastic covered lifelines, if you still have those.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #8 on: May 08 2017, 06:36 »

The rear bumper is PVC and cleans very well with PVCu solvent cleaner for plastic window frames, cheaply available: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p31464?table=no

Same stuff also works on everything else made of PVC, which includes fenders and the plastic covered lifelines, if you still have those.

Thanks for the tip Yngmar, Toolstation will be my first stop off this morning !