Author Topic: Rudder bearing lubrication  (Read 11618 times)

ejessen

• Second Mate
  • 2001 Bavaria 40AC
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40AC
  • Boat Year: 2001
Rudder bearing lubrication
« on: March 03 2017, 20:02 »
The steering on my 2001 40foot AC Bavaria is getting a little stiff.

Is if possible to lubricate the rudder bearing with the boat in the water or is a haul out needed? What type of lubrication/great should be used?

-- Erik

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Rudder bearing lubrication
« Reply #1 on: March 03 2017, 21:14 »
hi
interesting thought. i suppose you could try drop some oil down the seal but the oil will float above the water and not run down the shaft.
this is a post i am going to follow.
regards

Abby

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #2 on: March 03 2017, 22:52 »
Odysseus has done this before: http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php?topic=728.0

It's usually a temporary solution though, as the stiffening on that generation will likely be caused by corrosion in the lower rudder bearing housing, which compresses the bearing ball, which in turn begins to clamp around the shaft. By all means try the oil, but plan to drop the rudder at the next haulout and check the ball and the housing.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

mikeiso1192

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: March 03 2017, 23:10 »
I'm with Yngmar on this except I would haul out sooner rather than later.
If it gets seized in too solidly can be an absolute B****D to drop the rudder and then remove the bearing by chopping it out bit by bit.
Don't ask me how I know - it cost!!!!!
Then fit one of those nice Jefa bearings - silky smooth and nice feel to the helm.

Mike

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 04 2017, 07:16 »
Hi Erik,
Recently had to replace a bearing and housing in a French production boat. The aluminium housing had corroded and compressed the self aligning ball of the roller bearing. This in turn caused tightness in the rudder. Really recommend slipping and dropping the rudder out as soon as possible. It was a nice Jeffa silky smooth rudder bearing to start with. The issue came from the copper anti-foul being painted on the aluminium housing causing the pitting corrosion to occur next to the self-aligning ball. A nylon rubbing ring had also been removed which did not improve things either.
Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #5 on: March 04 2017, 08:08 »
Hi.
Clipper estimated a 5 hr job to do this. but mine took a bit longer. the upper bearing costs £187+vat and the lower bearing £235+Vat. there are two sizes of seals.

cheers

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #6 on: March 04 2017, 14:10 »
An interesting problem.  I have a 2000 B42 not sure if it?s the same set up.   Last year I removed the upper and lower bearing as I had too much play.   You cannot get the rudder out with the boat in a cradle. You need over a meter of clearance under the bottom of the rudder.  The boat yard arranged my lift out to coincide with their lunch so allowed me to remove the rudder while the boat was still in the sling.  Same going back in 6 months later.  Once out the bottom bearing came out easy after a few light bashes.  See you tube.  I debated fitting grease nipples to the aluminium housing (has anybody done this?) but did not.  Also a little tip.  I drilled and tapped the top of the rudder stock to allow fitting of an eye bolt for lowering and raising the rudder into position.  Re:- adding oil.  If you can manoeuvre the top water seal out from the black sleeve you should be able to empty WD40 or similar down to the bearing , it should be dry inside the sleeve and I would think this would help until lift out.  If you damage the water seal you will not be able to replace it easily so be careful.  Good luck

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
« Reply #7 on: March 04 2017, 15:38 »
Go ahead and try lubricating - you have nothing to lose.

About 5 years ago on passage from Israel to Kastellorizo-Greece my rudder was almost seized. It took a lot of effort to steer but we made it (luckily we were 4 on board- we had to switch every hour or so).
When I found out that replacing the bearing at that time was out of the question for various reasons, I lubricated the rudder lower bearing and continued on sailing. Have not replaced the bearing, and so far it has been working perfectly.

The way I did it:
Loosen the  steel band of the rudder stock sleeve
Use WD40 can with the red thin tube - insert the tube between rudder stock and sleeve and spray generously.
Steer wheel from side to side several times
Repeat with WD40
Wait several hours.
Test - if still stiff, repeat.

It took me 3 times over 2 days to release it completely, but as said this was a very severe case, and since then the wheel has been very smooth.

If you do change the bearing - do not use the same bearing as the original - there are better alternatives (by Jeffa for example, I believe Bavaria also switched from this bearing on later years)
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Neil

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #8 on: March 08 2017, 10:26 »
I replaced mine when I purchased the boat 3 years ago (B39 2006). The boat was on the hard and the old bearings were frozen. I was advised by Clipper that the new type of bearings were of a superior design. The steering has been very smooth since replacement.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #9 on: March 08 2017, 11:10 »
  Also a little tip.  I drilled and tapped the top of the rudder stock to allow fitting of an eye bolt for lowering and raising the rudder into position. 

Wish I had thought of that, would have avoided much grunting and swearing as a friend and I tried to locate the upper bearing blind, >:( i.e. from beneath the yacht, I'll bear it in mind for the future.  :)

elfab1112

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 38 cruiser
« Reply #10 on: April 27 2017, 18:19 »
http://www.jefa.com/rudder.htm

Here you have wery thing you nead to know

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #11 on: April 28 2017, 00:03 »
If you don't know the service history for the rudder, and your boat has a few years of sailing under her keel, I would strongly advise to have the rudder bearings replaced.

I am glad that I had recently replaced the lower bearing,  even though the steering was getting a little stiff, but was still easily turned & the AP could easily cope with it.

When the shipwright wrestled for a few hours with the removal of the rudder (see previous post http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php/topic,709.msg4159.html#msg4159) we found some of the roller bearings were broken.

Due to corrosion, the shipwright also replaced the outer bearing housing which was quite a job.

With both parts now renewed, the shipwright advised that it would be easy maintenance to drop the rudder out every second year to service & lubricate it.

If in doubt, replacing the bearings on your watch is peace of mind

Steven
Konan the Bavarian

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: May 09 2017, 12:42 »
In the past I have removed slight play in the rudder (B32) by tightening the top nut. Can someone explain where the top bearing is located? I presume under the plate that has 3 screws holding it in place. Can Wheel friction be effected by how tight the nut is? How is the weight of the rudder stock supported?  Sorry a bit garbled but trying to get my head around how the whole assembly works

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
« Reply #13 on: May 09 2017, 20:00 »
On our Bavaria 32 (2004), the steering had become much stiffer and the autopilot was struggling.
After reading this post last month I decided to try the easiest option. I loosened the top clip around the rudder stock and dribbled some oil between the rudder tube and the rubber sleeve.
Amazing results. The steering has never been so silky smooth and the autopilot works perfectly.
Thanks

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #14 on: May 09 2017, 21:38 »
Hi Fenders
What type of oil did you use - WD40, engine or cooking? Although not too bad, I have noticed a little more resistance in the wheel recently so, as you say, it's an easy fix worth trying.
ATB

Mark

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
« Reply #15 on: May 11 2017, 21:13 »
Mark

I used ordinary engine oil. After applying the oil the steering was turned from lock to lock a few times for several minutes to assist with the oil penetration. The results are amazing and I was sceptical that it would work. Only took a few minutes to loosen jubilee clip and add the oil.
The steering is now silky smooth, no courseness or notchiness.
Been out sailing today and still smooth steering.

Fenders

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #16 on: May 11 2017, 21:32 »
Thanks for the info, Fenders. I'll give that a go.
ATB

Mark