Author Topic: Limber Holes in Engine compartment 2005 Bavaria 36  (Read 2062 times)

Harveyhall

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Limber Holes in Engine compartment 2005 Bavaria 36
« on: February 27 2017, 18:20 »
Does any owner know if there are any limber holes under in the engine compartment of the 2005 36? I couldn't feel or see one and then drained flushed the coolant but thought I lost some liquid into the bilge. Still can't feel any holes, but I have short arms that don't bend backwards either.

Thanks

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Limber Holes in Engine compartment 2005 Bavaria 36
« Reply #1 on: February 27 2017, 18:39 »
My B37 2006 doesn't have any.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 27 2017, 21:31 »
No modern boat should have limber holes under the engine.

That is to ensure that oil and fuel will not go into the bilge and be pumped over the side.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: February 27 2017, 23:11 »
My B36/2002 has a small relatively boxed in area directly under the engine sump, and within which any oil say from sump leakage would be contained, but the area outside of that boxed in area, yet still within the engine compartment is not so well contained. Indeed, in the event of oil leaking say from an overfilled sail drive leg, or from a leaking fuel system, that would initially be contained within this outer area. However, add in a largish quantity of water from say a leaking sea water cooling system, and the resultant oily mix could initially flow aft and around the end of the engine room outer containment area and into the box section stiffeners or floors which run forward to form part of the under deck grid of floors below the main cabin deck. From there any liquid would then empty out into the area served by the bilge pumps.
Now depending on the trim of the boat, it is possible that some liquid could remain within those floors until the boat begins pitching in a seaway before draining out into the bilge pump compartment.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: February 28 2017, 08:00 »
Salty, yes I agree with your comment. The coolant capacity is 4 litres and this would be well contained in the under-sump area so wouldn't have gone anywhere.