Author Topic: Engine control mechanism  (Read 4067 times)

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
Engine control mechanism
« on: February 25 2017, 10:43 »
The throttle lever on my 2004 Bavaria 32 has broken off with the shaft still attached.
I have removed the mechanism from the inside of the binnacle and it appears that the shaft has sheared from the mechanism.
It appears that I need a new control mechanism but I am struggling to find one.
The ones I have found I cannot be sure if they are the same as the websites selling them do not have photos of the units and I do not have a model number. I will call the companies concerned but being a weekend they are closed.

I believe my unit is a Lewmar, but again I do not have any identifying marks on the unit.
I have looked at the Lewmar site but there doesn't seem to be any legacy units. Their latest units all appear to be rail mounted in pods so I am unsure if these are suitable.

So far I have looked at Aquafax, Marine Industry supplies, Clipper, Lewmar, Waveline Leisure and Boat Parts and Spares.

I would be grateful for any pointers as to where to find a replacement.

Fenders

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Engine control mechanism
« Reply #1 on: February 25 2017, 11:27 »
I think you need to be looking for Lewmar part number 89400137, which is just the mechanism, without the lever or fascia plate.  It looks like this, which looks similar to your pic (although your pic is very small).

If that looks like the right part, you can get it via Cactus Navigation's website, as just one UK supplier listing it.

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
« Reply #2 on: February 25 2017, 15:03 »
Try:
http://winchservicing.com
and
http://www.velasailingsupply.com/

About a year ago I needed a different part of this mechanism and they had it.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: February 25 2017, 21:01 »
The mechanism is a Morse Teleflex (now Seastar) SL3 Single Lever Engine Control (Side Mount). Lewmar does not make it, they just make the add-ons (fascia, lever, etc.). Several other manufacturers do the same - the mechanism inside is always the same, so you can simply buy the cheapest one and throw away whatever bits (lever, etc.) come with it and re-use your old. Here's one, or cheaper if you buy the whole Teleflex unit (they cleverly don't show the mechanism in the photos).

The mechanism itself is quite astonishingly un-serviceable - pressed and crimped gearwheels and axles, completely disposable and no way to strip it down. I've pulled a few out of a bin to get to know them better and one of them had snapped off in exactly the same way as yours.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
« Reply #4 on: February 25 2017, 23:30 »
Thanks for all your replies.
I didn't realise that the mechanism wasn't Lewmar.
That explains why I am have had problems finding a replacement.

It looks as though Marine Super Store at my marina supplies them so I will call in next week to check it out.

Thanks again