Author Topic: Permanent heeling  (Read 2480 times)

Fenals

• Swab
Permanent heeling
« on: February 20 2017, 19:06 »
Hi all
I have a b30 2006 and this is my first post here. I don't know why it has a permanent 2° st heeling. Has anybody a similar situation?

Thanks!

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Permanent heeling
« Reply #1 on: February 20 2017, 19:23 »
Hi Fenals,
You need to look at the weight distribution onboard, and consider where that weight is located. For example on my B36/2002, I have a fuel tank on the starboard side under the aft starboard cabin berth, and a similarly sized fresh water tank under the port aft cabin berth. Also within the area of the main cabin I have two 225 amp hour batteries plus a single 80 amp hour battery under the starboard settee while under the port settee there are two 110 amp hour batteries. So if my fuel tank is full while the fresh water tank is only half full, it's most likely that the boat will have a starboard list. Even with both aft tanks full, there is still more weight of batteries on the starboard side, though the weight of the fresh water will be slightly more than the weight of the fuel. Think of the boat like a seesaw, both in the transverse as well as the fore and aft planes, and any increase in weight at one end of the seesaw compared with the other will result in it tipping towards the heavy side.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: February 20 2017, 19:56 »
Put more stuff on the other side. Mine was heeling to starboard due to a very large battery bank upgrade by PO. Not a problem, simply provisioned the boat with food and some pots and pans and it's balanced again :)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

willfinch36

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: February 21 2017, 09:29 »
Had a similar issue when I had a Bav 30, mainly due to there being 3 batteries on the STB side.

Fenals

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: February 21 2017, 16:04 »
Thank you for the replies! I've two big batteries in the port side and one smaller in stb where it is also located the fuel tank  (90 liter). Water tank is port and weights 150 kg. And that's all. Occasionally, I've tried to balance the boat by emptying/filling the tanks but without apparent success, but as you say, I should move more ballast to the port side. Anyway, I have enjoyed this boat for many years and I am actually not very worried about it. It's only a matter of curiosity...