Author Topic: Prop Replacement Procedure  (Read 2296 times)

Harry Brown

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Prop Replacement Procedure
« on: February 19 2017, 15:43 »
I'm about to take the fixed blade prop off in a couple of weeks.
I would like to make sure I have everything I need to do this in advance.

This thread (2012) mentions using "a small pellet of epoxy putty" (I have no idea what this means, or how to do it?).
http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php/topic,170.msg877.html#msg877

Now, as far I as was concerned I was just going to use loctite 242 on the cone attachment bolt and anode screws, and tighten well?

Could you guys please tell me the methods you use to do this task, so I don't have to start a thread soon asking where the cheapest place for a new prop would be?!!  ;)

Thanks in advance

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Prop Replacement Procedure
« Reply #1 on: February 20 2017, 07:10 »
Maybe I've been lucky, but in the eleven years that I have owned boats with saildrives, I have never used locktite or "small pellets of epoxy putty." 
Essentially whatever I have done to undo and remove he propeller has been done in the reverse order when it comes to putting the prop back on again, with the only addition being some fresh grease on the threads, and some fresh paint on the non folding propellers. Last year I tried a folding bronze prop for a change, and again I did not use any locktite or paint. This prop was secured only with a special nut in the middle of the boss which itself was further secured with a grub screw provided within the Volvo design of the prop (very old style folding bronze prop picked up off eBay for a £100). It worked very well, and I did worry about it for the whole season when I later (after launching) saw others adding locktite. By the end of the season however it was still securely in place, but now I'm worried whether I should use locktite, and despite having never used it before, and never having had any problems before, I'm gong to use it this year for the first time, but not for securing the anode. As for the folding prop, well the jury is still out as to whether it was any better than the old fixed prop.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: February 20 2017, 08:26 »
The two-blade 'standard' props with the cone fitting can (and have) come undone if excessive pressure is used in reverse thrust. There have been reported experiences of this on the forum. Last season I picked up something round the prop which caused the boat to oscillate. This was successfully cleared by a quick burst in reverse. However, when I took her out this year the cone was loosened but kept in place by the long centre bolt. I always clean and cover the threads for the anode and propeller in Loctite when refitting. This season I am also going to have two weetabix and make sure the cone is tighter too  >:(

suibhne

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: February 20 2017, 10:31 »
When I read about the fixed propeller coming loose problem I was taking no chances.
I put a gel coat pellet over the bolt head.
This winter with the boat on the hard I removed the pellet with a small pike completely before undoing the bolt.
When I replace the propeller I will repeat the procedure