Author Topic: Bavaria 32 (2003) sails - with Selden in-mast reefing  (Read 2747 times)

Bubble

Bavaria 32 (2003) sails - with Selden in-mast reefing
« on: February 19 2017, 09:58 »
'Bubble' has the original Selden in-mast reefing rig and the original Elvstrom 'Cruising' sails which are getting tired. I feel that the Genoa is too big and the mainsail has lost any shape it might once have had. I get horrendous weather-helm in any kind of wind when close-hauled and have to reef early. I wonder if better/better-cut sails might improve this.

I spoke to Crusader at the boat show and was impressed with their advice and attention. They have emailed me quotes - I am not in a position to move at the moment but may well do next year.

The damage is as follows, including VAT:

Main - FURL MAXX PLUS MAINSAIL - VEKTRON with expensive vertical battens - £2,577

Genoa - ROLLER REEFING GENOA 130% with padded luff - £1,050

Interested to hear any other thoughts on sails for the boat/rig combination that I have.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
Re: Bavaria 32 (2003) sails - with Selden in-mast reefing
« Reply #1 on: February 19 2017, 10:18 »
I have the same set up as you. Having had three in mast yachts this one is the best I have had. I am not sure that the battened main would roll in so easy. I agree with the Genoa recommendation.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: February 19 2017, 11:12 »
Not everybody is in favour of battened sails for in mast furling. Crusader is one of the sailmakers which is in favour, so naturally they would be pushing it! Suggest to talk to a wider range of sailmakers for recommendations before you make a decision. The genoa recommendation is OK, the foam luff will make a big difference.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: February 19 2017, 20:41 »
I replaced our B34/2001 genny with exactly the same from Crusader (same price too) and it's a lovely sail; sets nicely, reefs cleanly and the foam luffs do an excellent job of keeping a good tight roll when furled. Some quotes were double Crusader's but there's no way they could be twice as good. I'm going back to them for a main (slab-reefed) next year.
ATB

Mark

Trundletruc

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: February 20 2017, 09:45 »
Bavaria 36 2002 Same sail setup as you.

I bought a set of sails from Crusader in 2013 and although we only use the boat 12 weeks a year they still look and work great. They are well made and measured and they fitted our boat, which is in Greece, with no problem.

We had a "foam" luff (actually plastic tube) and this has greatly improved the pointing of the boat when we reef. The only down side is that starting to reef the genoa requires more effort as you have to wind the padding round the forestay.

I was amazed, looking at the thickness of the sail cloth of the Main, that it actually went into the in-mast roller reefing. We have no problems reefing this once the angle of the boom is sorted. We have a knot in the topping lift that stops the boom hitting the bimini cover (which Crusader also made) and is just the right place for reefing the main.

In the following year we bought a cruising chute which is just the right size and which has given us loads of enjoyment and a few panics!

Can't recommend Crusader enough.