Author Topic: Ocean 40 - 42  (Read 2930 times)

GaryC

• Swab
Ocean 40 - 42
« on: February 17 2017, 09:44 »
Hi All

I am new to the forum, and joined to ask a big favour.
I'm selling my current boat and the wife and I are looking for a centre cockpit, I like the look of both the Moodys and the Bavaria Oceans.
Only problem I cannot find any Oceans in the UK for sale, so looks like I will have to travel around Europe, I don't mind doing this, but I have never even been up close or onboard one before, only seen pictures.

If there are any owners of a 40 or 42 Ocean on either the East or South coast of the UK that don't mind spending 10 - 15 minutes to show off their lovely boat, I would really appreciate it, I just want to get an understanding of size down below and the cockpit.

I am sure I will love them as they look fantastic in pictures and videos.
Thanks in advance, and any advice on what to look for in buying is also appreciated.

Regards
Gary

patprice

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Swanson 36 and Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Ocean 40 - 42
« Reply #1 on: February 17 2017, 11:28 »
Centre cockpit? Why?
Other than a big aft cabin, the rest of the internals suffer.
On deck. Cockpit is too far forward and too high! And do not think it is dry in a sea.
Aft cockpit for me.
And they bring a premium in price!

GaryC

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: February 17 2017, 11:40 »
Hi

The centre cockpit is for that aft cabin and the heavier displacement, for the type of sailing I want to do and spending long periods of time on board.
My current boat and previous boats have been aft cockpit and they were perfect for the sailing I was doing but going to change things a bit, and would prefer the more roomy interior. Horse for courses as they say!

Thanks
Gary

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: February 17 2017, 14:06 »
Gary, I have a 40 Ocean in Brighton. You're welcome to drop by for a cup of tea, a tour and a chat (PM me) - I've refitted the boat myself in the last year and a half and know her intimately. Broker photos from 2007, now packed with cruising gear and my personal effects.

I went a similar route - my final shortlist was the Moody 425 or the Bavaria 38/40 Ocean, and I'm glad I went for the Bavaria. Funny enough, I didn't even consider Bavarias until I noticed they were making a (somewhat rare) centre cockpit model.

Selling points for me were the lovely aft cabin with berths for tall people, standing headroom, the galley in the walkway (perfect for cooking at sea - brace yourself with bum against engine room), end-boom mainsheet at the helm (I single-hand her often) second water tank in the bow and heavier displacement lead keel. The massive engine room turned out to be a huge boon (great access and with added shelfing lots of storage room).

If you have a choice, try finding one with the original MD22 engine - that's the one the boat was designed for. The later D2-55 has the service side the wrong way around, and is far less well documented by DIYers, plus you can't scavenge parts from old British car engines ;-)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

GaryC

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: February 17 2017, 14:23 »
Thanks Yngmar

I would love to come down and see your boat she's looks great, and the benefits you mention are the very reason I am looking at the Ocean so agree totally they are ideal for what I want.
I will PM you to see if we can get a convenient day to pop down.

Thanks again for your kind offer.
Gary

seasicksteve

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Ocean 40
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: February 17 2017, 23:02 »
Hi Gary, I have an Ocean 40 in Ipswich Haven.   Bought her last year for all the positives Yngmar mentions. Like you I thought I would have to go to Holland but this one came up in Ipswich. I'm very happy with her, but still sorting things out. Great value compared to HR etc. And very well built.

I'd be happy to show you round but don't get down too often at the moment. She's currently out of the water. Pm me for a phone number if you want to talk.

Steve.

GaryC

• Swab
« Reply #6 on: February 18 2017, 11:22 »
Hi Steve

Thanks for your offer

I might be in touch at some stage.

Gary