Author Topic: B37Cr Rudder Removal  (Read 2650 times)

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
B37Cr Rudder Removal
« on: February 14 2017, 02:11 »
I have just had the bearings in our rudder replaced,and thought I would record for others the clearance required to remove the rudder from the hull.

After the Konan was removed from the water, she was suspended in travellator slings whilst the shipwright battled to drop the rudder as the rudder shaft was seized on the roller bearings (even though it could still turn port/stbd). After more than an hour suspended in the slings, and the yard crew getting anxious with the hold up (their schedule was now over an hour behind), Konan was setup in a cradle resigned to the fact that we would have to pay for another travellator pick, to remove the rudder.

Our local shipyard set up Konan on blocks inside a cradle, with 340mm of clearance under the keel to the ground.

After a further hour of wrestling with the bearings, the rudder shaft came free, and the rudder was able to be dropped down and with the cradle setup, the shipwrights were able to easily remove the rudder.

here is a photo of the setup, for future reference. Hope this is helpful.

cheers

Steven
Konan the Bavarian

Moodymike

• Old Salt
Re: B37Cr Rudder Removal
« Reply #1 on: February 14 2017, 09:04 »
What is the draught of your keel?

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: February 14 2017, 23:21 »
Yes that is an important spec. draft is 1.95 metres, I think the underside of the keel is 1.6m below underside of hull.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: February 15 2017, 07:41 »
............... I think the underside of the keel is 1.6m below underside of hull.

That would suggest that when your boat is in its cradle onshore, that you can stand pretty much upright under the hull in way of the keel ??

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
« Reply #4 on: February 16 2017, 02:57 »
Yes, at 1.94m tall, I can easy prepare the hull, tape the waterline and paint, all without bending back or over or twisting to get to the underside.