Author Topic: Starter battery recommendation  (Read 4540 times)

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
Starter battery recommendation
« on: February 11 2017, 22:48 »
Relaunched my 2004 Bavaria 32 today after 9 weeks ashore for anti fouling and new anode. During this period on shore the smart charger had been on.
Once afloat and after I had done the usual pre start checks I attempted to start the engine but the solenoid wouldn't engage. I checked all electrical connections. All good.
As I carry jump leads on board I managed to jump start from the domestic battery with no hesitation.
I didn't have a tester on board so I was unable to check the battery, etc.
I suspect the problem is the battery. It has a label "Elite Leisure" with a picture of a caravan.
This battery was fitted by a previous owner so I have no info regarding its age, etc. I don't even know its AH or CCA.
It is a lead acid type and also displays "UK 678" on the top.

Can anyone recommend a suitable start battery?

I guess I need one that is not a deep cycle type but one that is meant for starting engines and nothing else.
My only constraints would be the dimensions.

Thanks

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Starter battery recommendation
« Reply #1 on: February 11 2017, 23:05 »
The battery you have is a leisure battery, not intended for engine starting.  It's a Group 24 size, so any Group 24 starter battery should fit in the same space.  Any battery retailer will be able to help you.  Your engine isn't huge, so any starter battery intended for a small car will be fine.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: February 11 2017, 23:19 »
Also check the way that the battery is secured in place, so that when you buy a replacement battery that it can be secured in the same way. Mine had ribs fitted along the bottom edge, but the new battery didn't so that it couldn't be secured in the same way as the previous battery. You don't want to just leave the battery loose where it can move around as your boat rolls.

Fenders

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: February 12 2017, 08:07 »
Tiger79 and Salty

Thanks for your feedback.
And sound advice regarding the ribs.

Just wondering what minimum AH I should be considering.

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
« Reply #4 on: February 12 2017, 08:38 »
A 65Ah Varta starting battery has been serving me for the last 6 years with no problems (MD2030 engine).
I believe that even a slightly smaller one will do.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: February 12 2017, 10:31 »
Replaced mine 3 yrs ago  (b32 2003)  with attached info.   Europarts have 30% off this weekend, Note Amazon is via Europarts. the perspective on the pic make it look longer than it is . Does have the ridge that you require.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Car-Battery-Type-075/dp/B005XVUA9C

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-batteries/battery/most-popular-car-battery/075-car-batteries/?444770757&0&cc5_995

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #6 on: February 12 2017, 12:55 »
Tiger79 and Salty

Thanks for your feedback.
And sound advice regarding the ribs.

Just wondering what minimum AH I should be considering.

Capacity (AH) is relatively unimportant as you will only use a fraction of it. CCA is the important measure and a small battery for a small diesel car will have more than enough CCA. The AH of such batteries is normally in the 50-65 range. The key decision factor will be size to fit your space and terminal position/type.

Fenders

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: February 12 2017, 17:36 »
Thanks Symphony and Lyra for your thoughts.
And thanks to Moody Mike for the links. That is exactly what I was looking for and the dimensions are bang on give or take a smidge.
The Bosch is on order.

Fenders

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
Re: Starter battery recommendation Quality?
« Reply #9 on: February 13 2017, 08:12 »
Would be interested to know if the cheap batteries are any good as I have always paid considerably more. Assuming the quality would be better.
And you get what you pay for.
Does anybody know or have an opinion.

Regards Tony Revell   
Cruiser 33 Pegatha

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #10 on: February 13 2017, 12:07 »
I have always used leisure batteries for both starting and domestic .I have 4x 110ah domestic and 1x 110ah start they are all exide pp115 equivalent  . They are now 10years + but still very good .I never discharge to less than 50% and they are permanently connected to 70watts of solar. Leisurebatteriesforless.com sell them. They are wet type so take charge at the higher voltage but do need a drop of water a couple of times a year. Geoff

Fenders

• Able Seaman
« Reply #11 on: February 13 2017, 19:16 »
Following the link from Moodymike I have bought a Bosch S4 car battery which fits perfectly in the original fixing points.
I bought it from Euro Car Parts. It's rrp is £110. Euro Car Parts normal price is £100 but over the weekend it was discounted further to £70 and has a 4 year warranty.
I had looked at unbranded ones of similar specs without a warranty for much more, so this Bosch is a good deal.
Thanks Moodymike

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #12 on: February 13 2017, 20:47 »
Not sure why you didn't buy the same thing for 20 quid less from Noelio's link.