Author Topic: Selden top down furler and cruising chute  (Read 1909 times)

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Selden top down furler and cruising chute
« on: February 09 2017, 17:55 »
Hi anyone fitted one to b38 of 2003 vintage , i have the selden bowsprit and ive bought the gx 15 standard selden furler , ive sold my previous cruising chute as i thought a tad to short in luff , it was made for a snuffer .

Im about to order a new sail , but wondering about luff length .

From halyard shackle to pole eye 14.8 m , ive done calculations from selden instructions to work out available sail length after allowances , comes out 14.3 m ,

I was keen to use as much of this as possible , but am concerned about top swivel and space for furling top of sail between it and forestay .

Anyone allready done this , any pics , any thoughts , all greatly appreciated .

Thanks in anticipation

battuta

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 31
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: Selden top down furler and cruising chute
« Reply #1 on: February 13 2017, 10:47 »
I've got a 2008 B31 and gift the same furler. You're right, it's a tight fit between the upper swivel and forestay, but it works and if anything your angles and resulting space should be better than mine with your longer foredeck.

One thing to make sure of is that all three ends of the sail you're having made (head, tack and clew) are NOT too heavily reinforced (if at all) as that causes bunching up and will impede the furling. I had to get my old gennaker that worked fine with a sock modified because of this.

Also, it helps to have a luff length that results in being at least 20cm short (probably more) to allow appropriate length line loops to attach to the swivel and furling drum.

I don't think I can offer more suggestions, as I had a rigger do all the measurements and work. Good luck!

-Riyad
s/v "Battuta"
Vancouver, Canada