Author Topic: Bav 38 Cupboard doors - are they all the same size?  (Read 2013 times)

icarusbop

• Swab
Bav 38 Cupboard doors - are they all the same size?
« on: February 09 2017, 08:01 »
Hello:

I guess the title says it all, but the longer version is about the long row of lift up cupboards in the saloon and forepeak.
I am looking at buying a boat but some of the doors are slightly different colour or grains in the saloon, no idea why, perhaps they were badly matched at manufacturing, or have had some replaced in the past?

Anyhow, I figured I could fix (hide) the problem, buy swapping the forepeak doors (which all match) with the saloon doors - as long as they are the same size.

Alternatively, can replacement doors be bought and does anyone know how much for?

Thanks

Icarusbop

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Bav 38 Cupboard doors - are they all the same size?
« Reply #1 on: February 09 2017, 09:47 »
hi. i am spending the day tomorrow at the boat and will measure them. mine seems to have the same issues. i was going to strip the varnish, bleach the timber, use a very light coloured stain to make it uniform and then revarnish it. carefull if you decide to sand as the veneer is very thin. the original timber veneer is Sapele (african Mahogany) managed to get some in southampton and its very good grain match.

regards

Abby

icarusbop

• Swab
Re: Bav 38 Cupboard doors - are they all the same size?
« Reply #2 on: February 10 2017, 11:20 »
Hello:

Thanks for your reply, I wonder if the issue is caused by bad colour matching at the point of manufacture, I can't see individual doors changing colour due to UV exposure?