Author Topic: Chasing the Sun (Bavaria 38)  (Read 6380 times)

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Chasing the Sun (Bavaria 38)
« on: January 25 2017, 07:13 »
Hi All

after many years of day dreaming, visiting boat shows,walking a million miles in marinas we took the plunge and bought a 2005 ex charter Bavaria 38. we wanted a nice condition newer boat, but the thought was either save another 10 years and then too old to enjoy it,or buy a fixer up and get sailing Now. As a hands on Person was not scared of doing some repair work.
 the survey brought up that cosmetically she was poor condition, the hull and keel OK, sail drive signs of water ingression, rudder bearings gone, a lot of the systems need work, but it has a 2015 beta 30 hp engine.
this has been the progress so far.
1. the saildrive was stripped new seals fitted, new oil,new prop, and new Zinc
2. the rudder was removed and new bearings fitted. the steering cables readjusted.
3. the hull was lightly sanded and new antifoul fitted. the sail drive was scraped and a sail drive primer and antifoul applied
4. the hull was removed of all advertising decals and a compounded with 1200 compound, followed by 2000 compound and finished off with a waxing. in certain light one can still see the old Cornish cruising logo, but i feel that next years polish will remove all traces (I Hope)
5. the electric bilge pump was remounted and reconnected and actually tested with water
6. removed and stripped all cupboard latches lubricated them, and put them back to use. now need to replace all knobs.(there were 4 different types and colours)
7. replaced the burned out socket outlets, with new 13 amp sockets.(Berker)
8.the middle seat in saloon was remounted
9.battery charger was repaired
10. installed a humidifier to get rid of all moisture
11. refitted all loose heater hoses
12.replaced latches in heads cupboard (£22 each. ouch)
13. replaced the transom gate carabiner clips
14. replaced the boom goose neck swivel and brackets
15. the mast has been removed as found out it had moved forward by 10 mm, this is going to take a few weeks. then she will be put back in water.
16. the keel was resealed and retorqued

The plan is then to sail her back to Brighton, and the interior will be sanded and re varnished. also thinking of new instruments to be fitted .
the fridge needs repairing as  the heating need service. the chain locker need major upgrade and repairs.all cabins matresses will need replacing( i thing a rat got loose on the foam rubber)

once the boat is in good condition we plan to sail it to the med, and visit various cities in a leisure manner.
our next step is to get our skippers license as we have never sailed before apart from on a flotilla holiday,
we are looking forward to an exciting and challenging time ahead

Abby and Fiona

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Chasing the Sun (Bavaria 38)
« Reply #1 on: January 25 2017, 10:20 »
Congrats on the new boat. Sounds like the restoration is well underway. Do say hello when you get to Brighton - I've gone through much the same process with my boat. I do know someone for your new upholstery here.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

mikeiso1192

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: January 25 2017, 11:17 »
Wow
Plenty done and more to go.
An exciting project.
Keep updating us on your progress.
Mike

willfinch36

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: January 25 2017, 14:34 »
Enjoy.

I am guessing this was the boat that was for sale with Clipper Marine a few weeks back!

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: January 25 2017, 15:17 »
hi. it came rom the same company. the first one was a 36 but when i phoned it was already sold. then they told me this was coming up around xmas. so i put a holding offer pending survey.

Abby

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: February 02 2017, 17:55 »
Latest update

Spent yesterday at boat did the following

1. got a new exhaust for the heater . as i started removing one side the old pipe just broke in my hand. on the other end by the transom bracket the clamp was completely seized and rusted. sprayed with wd 40 let it soak for next visit.
2. started tracing problems with fridge. found thermostat past due date. replaced with a digital temp controller. also the evaporator fan there was a bodge done on it. replaced with the correct size and rating. tested the fridge , now cooling but i think its low on gas. at next visit will take some r134 and my gauges and vacuum and refill with the correct amount. will then look at insulating the box better. also measure the box to manufacture the missing trays for the fridge. i f any one has pictures of what they suppose to look like i will appreciate. will also clean both the condensor and evaporator with coil cleaner.
3.made a latch for the gas hatch( produced a latch from pictures found on google). at next visit will take the whole hatch out and reseal correctly.
4. found the bilge pump draining very slowly. on checking found someone had fitted the non return valve the wrong way round.
5.found the lights pitted with rust . quoted £40 each and as there are 10 of them decided to strip the chrome and try a carbon fibre look alike finished. if it looks ok will post pics.
6. decide on only replacing the wind gauge with a nasa clipper unit. also ordered a 7 inch raymarine chartploter and autopilot. next year will replace the rest of instruments with matching ray marine units
7. boat still out of water as having work done on mast and rigging
8. bought a cockpit table of ebay. nice unit with storing compartment for condiments. wanted a teak one but this came along really cheap and brand new. might stick flexyteak to make it look nicer. (also thinking of fitting a cockpit light.

this is all for this week . will be creating a website and a facebook page with pics and videos of all this being done.

regards

Abby

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #6 on: February 02 2017, 18:22 »
Sounds like you're making quick work of it. Couple tips:

1. Get a proper release spray instead of WD-40 - it'll creep better and therefore work better. WD-40 happen to make one (how confusing) labeled "Fast Release Penetrant". Get a can, you'll find plenty more places on the boat to use it.

2. Wire boxes: Depends on what format your fridge is - got a photo? I've replaced my ancient thermostat with this one, works brilliantly. Make sure you put the feeler away from the evaporator somewhere.

5. I hated the "chrome wart" lights because I kept bumping my head on their hot, power wasting surfaces. Replaced them with Dream Lighting ceiling lights (with switch and white plastic frame). They're flat and make much more light using much less power. Love them.

6. Don't know what's wrong with your Raymarine wind, but it can probably be fixed. There are repair instructions for the transducer (usually a simple bearing change) and service manuals incl. circuit diagrams for the display unit. I've replaced the bearings on several transducers now and they all work fine, except one which also needed a new Hall effect sensor (£20 from RS components).

Happy refitting :)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: February 02 2017, 18:38 »
hi.

i used similar temp unit from a different manufacturer.
good tip on wd40 but its what i had on board.
my raymarine mast unit was not there at all.

regards

Abby

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #8 on: February 02 2017, 19:52 »
Hi Abby

If you have the wind instrument but missing the masthead sender, it may be worth contacting your local raymarine repairers. When I was down at ours, they had a bunch of old units lying around. If so, it might be worth asking if they'd sell one...? Might save you some work on the wiring.
ATB

Mark

mikeiso1192

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #9 on: February 02 2017, 22:06 »
Abby

I've go a fridge wire basket that is surplus to requirements.

Mike

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
« Reply #10 on: February 04 2017, 15:09 »
Abby

I've go a fridge wire basket that is surplus to requirements.

Mike

Hi Mike. i will buy this off you thanks.

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
« Reply #11 on: March 15 2017, 20:50 »
New update on Pogo.
Not much has been achieved the last month as i ended up working 26 out of 28 days in February.
now back to normality (if such thing actually exists ) and the following has been done
1. replaced the exhaust on the heater. real nasty to get the old rusted unit out. also rerouted and used more support brackets. (the erbersher exhaust brackets are £8 each and bought better quality from screwfix for a fiver a packet of ten. bagain.

2. made new panels for the cupboards to replace the ones that were water damaged. managed to get some sapele mahogany which is a perfect match to Bavarias Venneer.

3. repaired the water pump as no domestic water was coming out of any of the taps

4. replace the tramsom shower unit as the old one was completely blocked.

5. tidy up wiring in lanzerete and over and cleaned it completely.

6. while down there found the pulley for the steering cable worn on one side. will order replacement.

7. Removed the element from the calorifier. this was completely blown up and real strugle to take out. ordered new element and thermostat from Penguin and if arrives before the weekend it will be refitted.

8. the Tmv on the water heater seems to have seen better days so will replace it most probably with a normal domestic stainless one as anything marine seems to comand a higher price. honeywell produce a unit that looks good quality and reasonably priced.

9. plan to fit isolation and drain valves on the calorifier in easier accessible spots to make this job easier in the future..

10. replaced all cabin lights with Led. really happy about this one. also purchased two strip leds to put in engine compartment.

11. replacing all mast lights for Led. the combination standing light fitting will also be replaced.

12. Fridge now fully operational and small cosmetic repairs will be carried out this weekend.

13. the mast work is in progress and replace the foils on the genoa furling as well as the wire

this is all for this week and hopefully by this weekend will have a launch date.

Happy sailing