Author Topic: RADAR Not Working?  (Read 5920 times)

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
RADAR Not Working?
« on: January 13 2017, 12:14 »
The RADAR on my B37 2006 stopped working last year after I had arrived in the Canary Islands. Since returning and now on the hard stand I have had a look to see why. This is what I found [see attached photos]. Water ingress at the base of the mast either through the deck fittings or the mast itself has corroded the cable connections. Why these connections had not been protected is down to poor installation practice. You may want to consider checking that your connectors in this area are not going the same way  ::)

Moodymike

• Old Salt
Re: RADAR Not Working?
« Reply #1 on: January 13 2017, 12:40 »
Can  you describe the route the cable takes through to the nav station.?

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: January 13 2017, 16:45 »
The cable from the transmitter to the chart plotter is in two parts. The first cable comes down the mast and into the roof recess as shown in my original post. This recess is in the rear RH corner of the forward cabin next to the heads. A cover for this recess is held in place with two screws. The second cable run (shown in red in the attached photo) goes behind and above the roof lining along the front edge of the main cabin to the starboard side. It then goes (with all the other wires that lead forward) in the recess behind the cupboards running fore and aft and then drops down and up into the Chart Plotter. This is not easy to show on the photo but I hope you get the right idea. The cable has to be removed from the front to the back as the connector for the plotter stops it feeding through.
Regards.
Jim

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: January 13 2017, 16:46 »
The RADAR on my B37 2006 stopped working ......................You may want gto consider checking that your connectors in this area are not going the same way

Had just such a problem with the steaming light on my B36 2002. The bulb was tested and found to be okay, and 12 volts was measured at the terminals within the light fitting. The problem was that the corrosion on the cable joints under the base of the mast was sufficient to stop the amps getting through in sufficient numbers to light up the bulb filament. In addition to trying all I could to stop the water ingress, I also changed the cable to tinned copper wire, and more recently I've started using a special grease which allows current to flow but helps to prevent corrosion. Can't remember offhand what the grease is called, and it is quite expensive. Time will tell if it's any good or not.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: January 13 2017, 16:56 »
I had a similar situation with my both my nav lights - each failed on passage in difficult weather too  :-\ Both cables now replaced with tinned wire and connectors sealed against water ingress, plus lamps changed to LED. I am currently upgrading to the a95 MFD and Pathfinder RADAR, the latter will communicate via BlueTooth to the MFD. I will pick up power at the base of the mast from the existing wiring but will ensure this is sealed appropriately ;)

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #5 on: January 13 2017, 17:42 »
I had simlar issue, but the radio aerial,  this area is an issue, water gets Inside the cable case and creeps down the wire untill the cable turns up usually at this point.

As a side issue, remember Raymarine do not support repairs of legacy product once new model is out.

Hope this help in your decision making.

Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #6 on: January 17 2017, 21:51 »
Is the radar now working after sorting the wiring out? I've changed from the c70 to the A95 so my radar is obsolete but serviceable. I've yet to remove/replace the radar but was wondering if it was a continuous cable from radar to plotter judging by your wiring I suspect it is not. Mine is a Bav 39 so not sure where the access will be to the wiring connections - any Bav 39 (2005/6) owners happen to know?

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: January 18 2017, 07:02 »
Is the radar now working after sorting the wiring out? I've changed from the c70 to the A95 so my radar is obsolete but serviceable. I've yet to remove/replace the radar but was wondering if it was a continuous cable from radar to plotter judging by your wiring I suspect it is not. Mine is a Bav 39 so not sure where the access will be to the wiring connections - any Bav 39 (2005/6) owners happen to know?

I haven't sorted it out yet - just found the where the problem was. I was thinking it had been a software issue as it was working ok on the passage to warmer climes. I intend to clear the poor connections and test the unit to make sure it is working before offering it for sale. I have already purchased an a95 upgrade to the C80 MFD and have a new Pathfinder RADAR. I am in the final stages of installation and testing for these.

I suspect your existing RADAR will be the same as mine due to the age/model similarity of our boats and, therefore, your cabling will be in two parts with the join as described in my post above.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: January 28 2017, 15:31 »
The cable from the transmitter to the chart plotter is in two parts. The first cable comes down the mast and into the roof recess as shown in my original post. This recess is in the rear RH corner of the forward cabin next to the heads. A cover for this recess is held in place with two screws. The second cable run (shown in red in the attached photo) goes behind and above the roof lining along the front edge of the main cabin to the starboard side. It then goes (with all the other wires that lead forward) in the recess behind the cupboards running fore and aft and then drops down and up into the Chart Plotter. This is not easy to show on the photo but I hope you get the right idea. The cable has to be removed from the front to the back as the connector for the plotter stops it feeding through.
Regards.
Jim

I have finally fitted the new Quantum Chirp radar unit and recovered the old one. Although the multi-core cable for the old unit ran along the inside of the cabin behind the roof lining as stated above, I fitted the new cable along the inside wall of the heads (access via the holding tank cupboard) on the starboard side. This made access to the mast base and connections much easier. I also removed all the old connector blocks that had been fitted to the wiring, crimped and embedded the cables in waterproof electrical boxes from this site: http://www.wiska.co.uk/en/products/pov/987/gel-insulated-joints-3-core-6a-30a.html

Running the new 12v power cable from the base of the mast to the chart table was not easy either  :'(

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #9 on: April 09 2017, 18:58 »
A plea to any Bav 39 owners who have accessed the wiring from the main mast radar/lights - are there cable connectors right under the mast? Can they be accessed from the forward heads cornice as in the photo attached? I checked the 2 large access panels either side of the mast support in the saloon but can't see forward to where the cable glands are at the front of the mast. The only wiring visible there is the cables for the saloon lighting etc.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #10 on: May 18 2017, 08:29 »
A plea to any Bav 39 owners who have accessed the wiring from the main mast radar/lights - are there cable connectors right under the mast? Can they be accessed from the forward heads cornice as in the photo attached? I checked the 2 large access panels either side of the mast support in the saloon but can't see forward to where the cable glands are at the front of the mast. The only wiring visible there is the cables for the saloon lighting etc.

I don't own a B39, but in answer to your question of whether there are connectors right under the mast, the answer is a very definite yes. Consider for a moment that the boat is built in a shed, albeit quite a posh shed, but one where there is no need or room for the mast to be stood on top of the boat during construction and fitting out. During the fit out the wiring looms will be put in place before the furniture fit out and internal linings are completed. The boat is then ready to take up some space in the boat park where it then gets assigned a mast which is laid horizontally on the boat before it gets whisked off on a low loader to its destination, or to a sea port for shipping to another country/continent/wherever before the mast gets stood up on end. The mast might not even be assigned to the boat until it has arrived at that destination, but until the boat gets there the mast will undoubtedly remain horizontal. The mast itself will either then, or will already have been fitted out and wired with or to the customers requirements, and once stood up on deck it will need to be connected to the boats wiring loom, using some form of connecter !!!
Later in life the mast will be taken down for reasons of maintenance and/or safety while ashore and the wiring will need to be disconnected, so don't cut cables short during disconnection or you will find yourself having to re-wire some part or other because there's not enough left to get hold of.