Author Topic: Waeco Coldmachine  (Read 3036 times)

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Waeco Coldmachine
« on: September 23 2016, 09:29 »
Has anyone ever opened and re-closed the self sealing valve couplings?
I installed the evaporator and condenser/compressor unit some years ago, but would like to change the evaporator. Question is if I can do so without the need to have the coupling renewed and the system refilled.
When I bought the units the were pre-filled and the installation worked straight forward, no problems. I only think if I can change to a different evaporator (size/shape).
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

Holger

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Waeco Coldmachine
« Reply #1 on: September 23 2016, 09:49 »
As far as I remember the manual says that the couplings can only be used once. This was also confirmed by a dealer in the Netherlands when I asked wether I could replace only the compressor unit (rather than the whole vaporiser as well). He told me that I might be lucky if I only replaced the compressor unit but more likely I would create a leak. You may find further information in the manual (p. 43 / 44 and other) which you can download here: http://dometic3frontend.qbank.se/episerver/82ce5ed14ce2278cbf483067765be069.pdf The manual may not relate to the specific series you have but I believe the couplings are always the same.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Waeco Coldmachine
« Reply #2 on: September 23 2016, 14:07 »
Has anyone ever opened and re-closed the self sealing valve couplings?
I installed the evaporator and condenser/compressor unit some years ago, but would like to change the evaporator. Question is if I can do so without the need to have the coupling renewed and the system refilled.

I disconnected my refrigerator machinery from the cooling plate, as I'd had a leak on the system. I took it to a refrigeration firm who found the leak, fixed it and re-gassed the system. The machinery and the cooling plate were then returned to me in their separate parts so that I could refit them into the fridge for the cooling plate, and under the settee for the machinery on my B36(2002). Once it was all put back together, the system was switched on and has worked very well for the last two years. The repair cost was around £180, so it was not cheap but the original connections, although taken apart to remove the system from the boat, reconnected to check it was working after the leak was fixed, disconnected to enable me to transport the parts back to the boat and fit it back in place, with the connections finally being put back together, remain the same ones that the system was originally supplied with.