Author Topic: Main furling problem  (Read 2820 times)

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Main furling problem
« on: September 18 2016, 13:51 »
Some time ago I took off the main for some stitches repair. On that occasion I felt that the extrusion was "wobbling" too much so I followed the Selden procedure for tightening it a bit.
Put back the main, rolled it in using the winch at mast base. When I went out sailing the sail got stuck half way since it folded over itself at the leech (there was a discussion about this type of problem not long ago). I though that probably I did not put enough at the tension on the clew while rolling it in and since solving this problem included lowering the sail again I did the whole procedure this time paying attention to all details as I lifted it up and rolled it in.
Yesterday went out again to check it - now it gets stuck in a different way that I cannot understand - the first part goes out with no problems, then, when there are about 5 turns left it gets stuck at about mid height due to part of the still furled sail protruding through the slot (see picture below - left is OK at beginning, right is my best effort to draw the situation that causes the problem). What happens is that the part coming out is locking on the "tounge" that protrudes. If I go now to the mast and use the winch handle it comes out OK because now it is basically a "pushing" action with no pressure from the sail that is already put.  Furling back in goes without any trouble and I cannot notice anything wrong when furling in.

I did try to show in my picture something that happens to the extrusion during furling, but in my opinion is natural behavior - when the sail is in its thickness forces the extrusion to be in the center of the mast, as you unfurl the thicjness is reduced and the extrusion, due to its flexibility becomes arched so that at about mid height it is very close to the slot, the combination of the reduced slot size and the "tounge" that protrudes causes the locking.

Anyone can shed some light on this situation and how to solve it?
Is my assumption that the extrusion should flex so much correct?
could tightening the extrusion cause this (I am quite sure I did not over tighten)?
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Main furling problem
« Reply #1 on: September 18 2016, 14:24 »
The luff extrusion shouldn't be too tight, as it's intended to rest mainly on the aft wall of the mast when sailing.  Selden say that it should only be tight enough such that it doesn't hit the mast wall when you grip it through the access hole and shake it.

How old is the sail?  If it has gone a bit baggy, it could jam in the way you've described.

Lyra

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 18 2016, 14:32 »
The sail is not very old - 6 years, and is still quite stiff.
I will check again the tension issue - The instructions for tightening said that in the absence of a torque meter, to tighten until it slips through your hands and this is what I did (and do not think that I gave it too much of a fight).
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: September 18 2016, 16:55 »
When I serviced mine, I checked the tension too and it was way too high. The Selden method (lugagge scale + winch handle) works fine, but you must ensure you have the right length winch handle (or adjust the math if you don't). Also make sure the threads are well lubricated first or all you're measuring is the friction of the adjustment screw :P

If you've read the whole manual, you know the foil inside the mast is designed so it bends and lays against the inside of the gap when the sail is unfurled and powered up. This is how it is meant to work as that gives it a nice stable resting position that is supported the whole length of the mast (even better than a fancy batten car system).

The "tongue" of the next turn being squeezed out of the gap happens if the sail was not furled tightly enough. It also happens if you "unfurl" the sail by pulling the wrong end of the endless loop or by turning the winch at the mast - do not "help" in this way, all that does is make a tight furl loose from the inside, which ends with the same problem. When you do furl the sail, you must have a bit of tension on the outhaul so the sail gets a tight furl, which then prevents this from happening. This is in addition to keeping the leech tight enough (by applying some kicker/vang) as you've already found out.

On my boat the outhaul is on the left coachroof winch and the furling loop on the right, so I can furl by pulling with my right hand while easing the outhaul in my left with a turn or two around the left winch. Gives a nice tight furl and no problems.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Lyra

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: September 18 2016, 17:24 »
Thanks Yngmar,
My setup is the same as yours and have been furling/unfurling as you say and never had a problem. That's why I suspect the problem is not operation but rather something that happened during the disassembly/assembly/tightening procedure.
I think I can get a hold of a real torque wrench - will check the tension again and if required will slacken t back.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Lyra

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: September 30 2016, 14:25 »
Problem seems to be solved.
Took advantage of no wind this morning, lowered the main and slackened the furler tension by 3 turns.
Hoisted back and furled in an out 3 times with no problem.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004