Author Topic: Top down furler and assymetric: Bavaria 38 2003  (Read 3251 times)

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Top down furler and assymetric: Bavaria 38 2003
« on: September 07 2016, 14:55 »
Hi im thinking of fitting a top down furler .

I allready have a jeckells assymetric with snuffer, but it doesnt get used

I have the selden pole too .

Any recommendations for furler and experience would be appreciated , i cannot afford karver !

Also my assymetric at about 76 m2 seems small on boat , any ideas , thoughts ??

Cheers

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Top down furler and assymetric bavaria 38 2003
« Reply #1 on: September 08 2016, 03:50 »
I have a Selden GX top down furler system for my assymetric with a pole. Works well but takes a little finesse to get the furling started. There is an optimum halyard tension and you need to blanket the assym with the main slightly to make it collapse a little to ensure it catches at the top. Once caught it rolls up quite easily and smoothly, again using the main to blanket the assym as you furl to balance a tidy tight furl with a fight on the furling line. I also previously had a snuffer system but now we sail only double handed the furler avoids foredeck work at sea and is a great benefit for us. I particularly like the fact that you can furl the sail but don't need to drop it until you are back at the dock or in sheltered waters.  The furling line runs all the way back to the cockpit like a roller furling genoa but I use snatchblock type stantion leads so we can remove it easily for stowing the whole sail if needed.

Not sure I can help with advice on your sail size. I suggest looking at sailmaker websites for recommended sizes, shapes and cuts according to what you want to use the sail for. The main choices for are size and shape for apparent wind speed/angle uses.
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: Top down furler and assymetric: Bavaria 38 2003
« Reply #2 on: September 12 2016, 03:41 »
I am using a Wichard/Profurl Spinex 2.5 on a 40 Cruiser asymmetric spinnaker. Not sure of the size as I have not measured it. I should though! I selected this one as it has a balls (rollers) on the torsion rope which allow the sail to rotate on the torsion line. This removes the potential for the sail cloth to jam and lock itself on the torsion rope. Not generally an issue for a code 0 but for the free flying asymmetric there is the potential for this to occur.
Only issue I have found with it is due to the spinnaker exit sheave and forestay being close together the head of the spinnaker can catch on the forestay. As Kibo does I blanket the sail with the mainsail. I also unfurl the jib to provide a blanket too. Once the Assy is furled and with the jib sheeted in I also drop the furled sail on to the foredeck on the windward side of the jib.

Happy sailing
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 14 2016, 19:33 »
Interesting that you also blanket with the Jib/Genny too Mark. I will try that next time out. Thanks for the tip. BTW my Mirror was 42456 :D
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 17 2016, 15:07 »
Kibo, Great boats to start sailing in! ;D
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009