Author Topic: Bavaria Ocean 38 MD22L-B exhaust elbow  (Read 2701 times)

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Bavaria Ocean 38 MD22L-B exhaust elbow
« on: September 04 2016, 20:15 »
[Split from http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php/topic,1531.0.html note first two messages appear out of order, Nigel]

Thanks  to all who have posted in reply!

I have checked and the engine on my Bavaria ocean 38 is an MD22L-B.

In the meantime, i have had to replace the exhaust elbow and connector, as it had become clogged with carbon and the connector broke when removed.

Is this normal, or is the carbon buildup a result of the engine not functioning well?

Quite normal, see for example this thread. Happens on other marine engines too, the MD22 was designed well enough to have a separate connector so the entire elbow does usually not need to be replaced - I inspected, cleaned and painted mine and replaced the crumbled connector.

The corrosion is a result of the highly acidic mix of exhaust gases and saltwater, but the buildup is due to these engines being run at low RPM for most of their life. They do benefit from an hour long burn at max throttle every now and then.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

1simon

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1998
Re: Bavaria Ocean 38 MD22L-B exhaust elbow
« Reply #1 on: September 04 2016, 21:01 »
I have checked and the engine on my Bavaria ocean 38 is an MD22L-B.

In the meantime, i have had to replace the exhaust elbow and connector, as it had become clogged with carbon and the connector broke when removed.

Is this normal, or is the carbon buildup a result of the engine not functioning well?

I am posting a photos of the elbow.

Can this be cleaned?!!

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: September 04 2016, 21:17 »
I am posting a photos of the elbow.
Cnn this be cleaned?!!

That's not your exhaust elbow, that's your heat exchanger/exhaust manifold unit. Given the extremely high price of that assembly, yes, I'd definitely try cleaning it, but carefully, as it is made of aluminium, so pouring loads of acid in is a no-no. If there is just crud and no significant corrosion, it should be fine once cleaned.

The exhaust elbow is the thing that looks like... an elbow. #23 here: https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7746710-25-2850.aspx

The connector is #29 and that's what most people had to replace. Your buildup seems extreme.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

1simon

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #3 on: September 11 2016, 21:52 »
HI All,

A week later, the heat exchanger exhaust manifold has been cleaned and the elbow replaced, as the carbon buildup  was excessive.

Engine now working with a much better water flow.