Author Topic: Fuel hose replacement, shut-off valve and Facor filter  (Read 8555 times)

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Fuel hose replacement, shut-off valve and Facor filter
« on: September 03 2016, 17:23 »
My original fuel lines had metal braid covers, which were badly corroded where they go through the bilge into the aft cabin. Insurance wanted them replaced, and also a fuel shut-off valve added (the boat never had one, although there were holes in the bulkhead where it would've been).

Additionally I wanted to replace the CAV filter, which has previously caused furious anger and spilled fuel when the bolt that holds the contraption together refused to engage. What I wanted was a Racor 500FG, because the filter change there requires no tools and the fuel stays in the housing, which works like a bucket with a removable lid and the filter is inserted in the top. I thought if I ever had to change filters at sea I would definitely not manage it with the hateful CAV contraption.

Alas, the Racor had what I considered unreasonable pricing for a bit of cast metal and some plastic bits. Luckily I found a Chinese copy of it on Amazon for a much more reasonable price. I ordered it, took it apart and looked for quality issues. There were some minor edges from casting, which I smoothened and all the O-rings were of abysmal quality, so I replaced them from the onboard o-ring kit. Took about half an hour all together. Unlike the Racor, this Facor also came with UNF to BSP adapters and (90°) hosetails for 10mm OD hose. All the thread sizes seem to be exactly the same as the Racor, so you can use Racor parts, fittings and add-ons (e.g. the vacuum gauge or the water alarm). I also threw away the crappy paper filter cartridge it came with and inserted one of the Racor ones I'd stocked up on (original ones, under £5 per cartridge).

For the fuel shut-off valve I wanted a bulkhead valve, so it can be operated without first taking the aft cabin bed apart to access the tank fittings. The local chandlery sourced one from one of their suppliers (Aquafax I think), but the only one they could track down was a bit large, so I also got some reducers and hosetails for both sides. Assembled all of this with Loctite 577 fuel-resistant thread sealant. ASAP supplies even had a nice label plate for it.

With the help of Nigel's shopping list I've ordered the tank fittings needed, plus straight hosetails for the Facor as it would've looked silly with the supplied angled ones. On the engine side there were already hosebarbs, which I've reused (after unscrewing them, cleaning up and applying new thread sealant).

I took out the tank pipes, which interestingly where both the same length (to the bottom of the tank). I expected the return one to end at the top, but it doesn't really matter much. The old cutting ring (different from compression rings, also known as olives, see this illustration) fittings had bitten deeply into the pipe and needed to be sliced open lengthwise with a Dremel cutting disc and then split to be removed. I then sawed off the ridged end where the cutting ring had bit into the pipe, losing me only 2mm length on each pipe. If there is enough length to spare, just sawing it off after the cutting ring is a quicker way to get rid of it all. Then applied the compression ring (olive) fittings and put the pipes back into the tank.

Pulling out the old hose made a big mess, as the rusted metal braided cover was no longer flexible and crumbled into showers of rust flakes. I ended up cutting it in parts with a big wire cutter and pulling it out in pieces, catching the fuel with an oil drain pan and lots and lots of oil absorbing pads. They're pretty good for wiping the rust flakes and accumulated dirt out of the bilge, especially once soaked in diesel fuel, which is a pretty good solvent that won't attack the bilge paint.

Hoseworld supplied the new 10mm ID marine fuel hose, all rubber, no more rusting braid. This is a very thick walled hose, of which I needed 10m total (£34 total). I laid the hose out straight in the cabin, then found the middle and put it at the engine, pulling both ends aft together. Everything on my 40 Ocean was wonderfully accessible, except the area where it goes from the bilge into the under-bed tank area - someone had installed large hot air ducts for the Eberspächer there. Managed to pull the new hose in with a bit of gymnastics. Connected it to the tank fittings and shut-off valve and mounted the house on bulkheads with some blue plastic clips (20mm) from Toolstation, working my way forwards from the tank, always marking the hoses with supply and return arrows so I don't lose track of which is which.

Once I reached the engine, I marked and cut the hose loop with a cutting board and sharp knife, then closed the shut-off valve and blew into each hose to confirm I had marked them correctly (the one with the closed valve would not be possibly to blow into, the other made bubbles in the tank). I'd also removed the CAV filter and drained it, and drilled the mounting plate to re-use it for the new Facor filter. While taking the CAV filter apart I noticed why it had given me such grief before - the top rubber sealing ring was actually two seals stuck together, and thus the whole stack ended up being too thick for the bolt to engage easily. Derp! :o

Hooked up all the hoses except the one from the filter to the engine, which I left disconnected at the filter. There I then connected a small portable 12V pump used for sucking old engine oil out of the engine, which did a wonderful job of priming the fuel system. As it flooded the filter, you could see the turbine working (which you don't see once it's full of fuel). This took mere seconds, after which I removed the pump and installed the engine fuel hose on the filter, then cracked the bleeding screw on the engine and bled the remaining air out of the hose using the lift pump.

The engine started at once and did not stutter (the MD22 generally seems to be quite good with that - it has always started with a bit of air in the pipes even when I'd cracked the old fuel lines at the tank to measure the fittings). I left it running for a while, whilst checking for leaks and looking for any air bubbles in the filters transparent bowl, neither of which I found ;D

After a few engine hours I'll also replace the engine fuel filter, which should contain any debris introduced in this undertaking.

Ingmar

Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Fuel hose replacement, shut-off valve and Facor filter
« Reply #1 on: September 03 2016, 17:38 »
Interesting post, thanks!

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: September 03 2016, 18:28 »
Very interesting - I was thinking about doing this, but the price of the filter was too high,even of the fake filters, but now I see that the price dropped - so went ahead and ordered one and will do it this winter.
Question about the tank hoses - are theses original fittings? Tank seems to be plastic (like in my boat) but fittings are SS while in my boat there are rubber bungs and plastic fittings. Unless your tank has a rather large service port (which mine does not) then I am very curious how these fittings interface to the tank because I would think they have a counter part inside the tank.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 03 2016, 18:38 »
Very interesting - I was thinking about doing this, but the price of the filter was too high,even of the fake filters, but now I see that the price dropped - so went ahead and ordered one and will do it this winter.
Question about the tank hoses - are theses original fittings? Tank seems to be plastic (like in my boat) but fittings are SS while in my boat there are rubber bungs and plastic fittings. Unless your tank has a rather large service port (which mine does not) then I am very curious how these fittings interface to the tank because I would think they have a counter part inside the tank.

Ah, having accidentally ripped out one of the fittings, I happen to know this!  ;D

Yes, they're original, apart from the small tube in the middle, that's the Eberspächer heater feed. The tank is HDPE and the fitting is a very long brass nut that is cast right into the HDPE along its entire length of about 20mm. Into that is screwed an adapter, with a copper washer towards the tank and another cutting ring fitting on the pipe coming out the top.

So being cast into the tank, these cannot be retrofitted (but my tank also came with the two unused extra ones you see on the left). There are however tank tap kits (Tek tanks sells them for example) to retrofit on a plastic tank.

The tank unfortunately has no service port at all, so other than peering down the fuel sender hole with a flashlight I've never seen the insides (although filters are clean, so I'm happy). I figure I'll fit a service port if I never need one, as cutting into the tank will deposit all the plastic chips from cutting into it and then it'll need a service port to clean that out! :)

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #4 on: September 03 2016, 19:32 »
Thanks. Found and downloaded their fittings catalog and will probably use it some day.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: September 03 2016, 23:16 »
Nice, but those hose barbs look like 8mm in the picture.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 03 2016, 23:33 »
Nice, but those hose barbs look like 8mm in the picture.

They're all 10mm ones that fit my 10mm ID hose well. In fact I ordered the ones for the tank from BES as per your shopping list. The ones on the Facor are BES #8872 - 3/8" x 10 mm o.d. hose nozzle (using the UNF to BSP adapters that came with the Facor, as shown assembled in the first picture).

I double-clamped everything with stainless jubilee clips except the ones on the tank taps - they have mini clips (because I did them first). However, while the mini clips had bolts instead of worm screws, their bands were much thinner and I'll probably replace them with jubilee clips with stronger bands. The worm drives are plenty strong to compress the thick hose onto the barb.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #7 on: September 04 2016, 10:36 »
Personally I prefer the mini-clamps with small OD pipe, or ear clips if you don't want to remove them.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #8 on: February 01 2022, 10:30 »
I have a question for Yanmar.

Firstly, thankyou for a very interesting post, I have had real problems with my original CAV type filter unit!   It is very difficult to obtain a good seal so I decided to replace it with the Chinese copy as you suggested in the original post.

The unit arrived from Amazon yesterday and it looks good.   However I have a question please.   I am aware that to change/get access to the filter itself one has to access from the top.   There were no instructions with my filter and having undone the wingnot and removed the bolt, The top did not come off.   Does it unscrew or do you have to tap it off using a small piece of timber?

I am reluctant to try to remove it until I know.   It is very very firmly on!

Also, in your post you recommended replacing the filter with ones costing around 5GB Pounds.   Where do you obtain replacements please?

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

HappyAfloat

• First Mate
    • www.happyafloat.com
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #9 on: February 01 2022, 12:10 »
The top isn't screwed on.  Mine occasionally need a tap to encourage release.

Spare filters are available here

https://www.parts4engines.com/fuel-filter-element-for-racor-500-fg/

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 01 2022, 12:13 »
I have a question for Yanmar.

I'm not an engine :P It's Yngmar.

The Racor filter top just lifts off after removing the bolt with the T-handle on top. Perhaps yours is a bit tight or stuck with the rubber? Don't worry about tearing the rubber seal, a new one comes with every filter.

Sourcing replacement filters depends on where we are. I bought from eBay and from AliExpress (slow but best prices if you're not in a hurry) in the past. Most recently these, which were original Racor or at least indistinguishable.

ICENI

• Able Seaman
« Reply #11 on: February 02 2022, 09:14 »
Many Thanks Yanmar.   I suspected it wastight.   I will now carefully use a block of timber tapping round the top rim to remove.

Chris.

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 02 2022, 12:12 »

artemis

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #13 on: February 03 2022, 08:12 »
Very good thread thanks for posting I think I would stick a inline filter before the main filter to catch any crud. 
https://mjbdirect.co.uk/products/2-x-inline-large-diesel-fuel-filter-universal-fit-6-10mm-pipe-car-oil-hgv-plant-18209b72-ef32-417d-b03e-55f75c5edc6b

Also see Patrick Laine Ep20 on you-tube on a B42 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXsYB9q_G_0

Rgds
Mike
Artemis

GeoffV

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bav 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #14 on: February 03 2022, 09:05 »

ICENI

• Able Seaman
« Reply #15 on: February 13 2022, 19:57 »
What is the purpose of the red ring laying in the see through filter bowl?

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #16 on: February 14 2022, 20:22 »
The red ring floats on water so you can see it easily.

Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

ICENI

• Able Seaman
« Reply #17 on: February 16 2022, 13:41 »
Thankyou