Author Topic: Furler line friction under stanchion bases  (Read 22838 times)

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Furler line friction under stanchion bases
« Reply #50 on: July 05 2020, 17:21 »
Guide for setting up rigging here seldenmast.com/files/1587561657/595-540-E.pdf

You will also find maintenance instructions for Furlex on the same site.

Smooth running of the furling line is not really dependent on rig setup. Your difficulty is probably related to the lack of the shroud around the drum. It is there for a purpose, which is to help the rope run properly. Replace that and I think much of your problem will be solved. Keeping some tension on the line when you unfurl the sail will help, but is not strictly necessary.

SorinCT

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C36
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #51 on: July 05 2020, 19:02 »
In the manual on troubleshooting it states that difficulty in furling can be caused by insufficient forestay tension or excessive halyard tension. At a brief glance it looks like i need to take down the sail and check/adjust forestay tension and when hoisting back up, adjust halyard to proper tension also.

”The sail will not furl, is hard to furl or can only be partly furled”
-  The forestay is too slack. -  Increase forestay tension.
-  Too much strain on the halyard -  Ease the halyard off a little

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #52 on: July 05 2020, 22:32 »
You described your problem as getting a messy furl on the drum (when unfurling) which is not related to the forestay tension. If the forestay is too slack the foil will bend as you try to furl and the sail will not roll cleanly. Don't think you can avoid the fact that the shroud is there for a purpose and the Furlex will not work properly without it.

SorinCT

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C36
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #53 on: July 06 2020, 08:15 »
Yes, i was getting a messy furl but after shifting the line on external guides, the furl is much better but it still significant force to roll the sail in light winds. Without a doubt i will replace the drum guide (already got some quotes with shipment).
I will take some photos of the new arramgent an modifications made.

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #54 on: July 07 2020, 00:11 »
This is a very timely post as the topic of "improving the furling" is next on the list as I sit on our stern at the TravelLift awaiting the technician to install our new ransmission cable.  Yard rules prevent me from "entering" our boat for 8 hours prior to any work being provided.  This along with this series of posts gives me hours to contemplate the fueling set-up ad nauseam. 

The observation I have to share is that under normal use, I doubt anyone expected the furling line or the stantion blocks to still be in use 20+ years after commissioning.  Though the rest of the running rigging is mostly new, this one got by us and due to its ongoing difficulty, I'd guess the drum and halyard fitting could use a little love sooner than later too.

Other people's scary stories are definitely motivating.

Trundletruc

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #55 on: July 14 2020, 11:48 »
We have a "padded" luff genoa on our boat, which has been excellent in retaining the shape of the sail when we furl. However, because of the extra thickness at the front of the sail it does make it harder to wrap the first bit around and start the furling process.
I also think that the furling gear/ drum is not big enough for the size of the sail, particularly if you get a lot of wind suddenly. Why struggle when a bigger drum would have made things so much easier?