Author Topic: Bavaria 32 - Liferaft stowage on pushpit???  (Read 9387 times)

Bubble

Bavaria 32 - Liferaft stowage on pushpit???
« on: August 22 2016, 22:34 »
I need to get a liferaft but am reluctant to put on the coachroof. I really want to fit a canister model to the pushpit.

Has anyone done this successfully? I cannot find any pictures anywhere and all the Bav 32s with liferafts I have seen have them on the coach roof.

Most grateful for any help.

Jonathan

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Bavaria 32 - Liferaft stowage on pushpit???
« Reply #1 on: August 22 2016, 23:07 »
Done it on a 36, if that is of any interest.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 22 2016, 23:20 »
No reason why you can't put it on the pushpit. You can get cradles designed for the job. However, not everybody likes it there as it is very vulnerable to damage, so a matter of personal choice where you locate it.

Bubble

« Reply #3 on: August 23 2016, 09:55 »
Done it on a 36, if that is of any interest.

Can you send a photo? I would appreciate that. Thanks.

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #4 on: August 23 2016, 20:04 »
I have also been looking at a location for my life raft. It is currently in a plastic valise in the locker.
It came with the boat (2004 32) and I have thought that this was the worse place for it. In an emergency I think most people would struggle lifting it out.

I have decided to have it installed in a hard case and looked at the pushpin. On my boat there is limited space for a case and also I am not sure if it is strong enough for the weight.
So, I shall probably place it on the coach roof.

Fenders

Bubble

« Reply #5 on: August 23 2016, 22:08 »
I had another look today & am coming to the same conclusion ... reluctantly as the yacht looks very sleek with a clean coach-roof (and I have a big solar panel where the raft would go).

Certainly sorting it in the locker would be a bad idea and would cause the boat to list (more) to starboard.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: August 23 2016, 22:32 »
No reason why you can't put it on the pushpit. You can get cradles designed for the job. However, not everybody likes it there as it is very vulnerable to damage, so a matter of personal choice where you locate it.

Very true, particularly about being vulnerable to damage. The cradle used to sit on the hatch garage, but by reusing the original fittings I've been able to clamp the cradle to the port side pushpit rails. The original securing strap would not fit properly with the cradle mounted vertically, so I bought a webbing strap with a stainless ratchet in order to secure the raft to the cradle. The webbing was modified to enable one end to be attached to the cradle, with the other end being lead to the stainless ratchet which could then be used to tighten the webbing to hold the cradle and the raft securely. The webbing strap with stainless ratchet, was available through eBay and was only about a third of the price of a new liferaft securing strap.

Certainly storing it in the locker would be a bad idea and would cause the boat to list (more) to starboard.

Agreed, but I wanted the area of the hatch garage for my solar panel, but the panel doesn't work too well just there so the panel may be moved to a stern gantry.

Bubble

« Reply #7 on: August 23 2016, 22:50 »
I recognise Holyhead in your pics!

Many thanks; looks tidy but the 32 is a bit smaller. Will think about it, I would prefer to fit the life raft on the aft-facing part of the pushpit but space, and the angle, may preclude that.

Anthony

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #8 on: August 30 2016, 12:13 »
for protection I have mine in a portside deep locker, easily pulled upwards from a top strap. I am told they weigh 25kg but when you need to launch them they weigh far less!

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: August 30 2016, 17:04 »
Great if you have a locker with that amount of free space in it, but I still wouldn't put a liferaft into such a space. Ideally they need to be located where they can be fitted with a hydrostatic release unit and will freely float off in an emergency. The crew of the Cheeki Rafiki were not so lucky.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #10 on: August 31 2016, 05:31 »
You only have to look at the Fastnet Race reports or the 98 Sydney to Hobart Reports to see the problems associated with storing a liferaft on deck, they wash off in heavy weather. Great for hydrostatic release but difficult to launch manually when needed.

I have my liferaft in cockpit locker, heavy to lift out, no hydrostatic release. Not the best.

I like the idea of mounting the liferaft on the pushpit but would prefer, if possible, to mount on the aft of the pushpit, not the side.

Has anyone got any experience of mounting the liferaft over the back of the pushpit???

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #11 on: August 31 2016, 17:32 »
On my Bavaria 32 my life raft was kept in the locker.
When I took delivery of her I in April I emptied the locker and then realised how heavy the raft is.
I managed it ok after removing everything else that was on top of it, however, in an emergency I think my wife wouldn't have a chance. Not a good place.

I would like to place it on the pushpit. On the side is not ideal as I think it is a vulnerable position.
On the rear the pushpit is quite narrow and I don't think there is the space.
My only other option would be the coach roof.

When I go to the Southampton boat show I will visit the life raft stands and seek their advice.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #12 on: August 31 2016, 18:22 »
The pushpit above the transom is the only sensible place for it really. Or a custom garage in the transom, which Bavarias don't have. The side is too exposed and the expensive thing can get crushed easily, worse if another boat hits you, damages the raft and you think it's still working because nobody noticed/told you.

Mine came mounted on the coachroof and I hate it. I've had it off and I can barely lug around the 4 person Viking on my own, but most crew couldn't, and getting it over the guardrail would be tricky indeed, leaving absolutely no hands to hold on, which in a liferaft deploying situation you'd desperately want to. Plus your broken rig might be hanging there, if it hasn't already crushed the raft. Plus, it blocks the glass windscreen window so it can't be opened  >:(

I like this setup, although that's on a 46 foot boat - on a 32 there might not be enough room:
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: August 31 2016, 23:18 »
.................I like this setup, although that's on a 46 foot boat - on a 32 there might not be enough room:

It wouldn't work like that on my 36 as the raft would block access to the fuel filler on the starboard side or the aft water tank filler on the port side. Also it wouldn't fit inboard of the rails because it would get in the way of my cockpit canopy, and hence the reason why it was put on one side outboard of the rails. Depending on whether you need access over the stern, the only possibility for stern mounting on the smaller boats would be either to fit the cradle within the sugar scoop, or above the cockpit drain area on some added on rails joining between the port and starboard pushpit rails.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #14 on: September 01 2016, 08:03 »
I'm hoping to get down to the marina shortly and I'll get some photos of a canister fitted on a cradle on the outside of the rails and at the back on a B31. The photo above shows a rather large canister for a liferaft - the one on my B37 is much smaller than that and is fitted on the rear port side. It does not hinder the filler caps (on either side at the rear).

14chops

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38H
  • Boat Year: 1997
« Reply #15 on: September 01 2016, 10:07 »
On my old 38H it was on the coach roof and got in the way. On my 37C I've now put it in a cradle and fixed to the pushpit. When I get back to Kilada I'm going to rotate it through 90 degrees as I think it will give better access all round.

GeoffV

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bav 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #16 on: September 01 2016, 14:16 »
On my old 38H it was on the coach roof and got in the way. On my 37C I've now put it in a cradle and fixed to the pushpit. When I get back to Kilada I'm going to rotate it through 90 degrees as I think it will give better access all round.

My question is -does the pushpit that the raft is on move in a seaway with all that weight on it?

Bubble

« Reply #17 on: September 11 2016, 11:06 »
I spied this on 34 in Whitehaven. This is EXACTLY what I want to do on my 2003 32.

The pushpit metalwork is not quite the same, though. May be slightly smaller too.

It is clear from reading all the helpful posts above that the only safe, sensible place for the life-raft is on the pushpit.

The 32 metalwork is a bit more curved but I might be able to work something out as the 34 owner has.

Please post if you have done this on your 32. I will if I manage to get it to work on mine.

Jonathan

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: September 11 2016, 22:34 »
Looking at your photograph, and keeping in mind that something may be hidden behind the outboard motor, though I think not, it appears that the cradle is held in place by only two clamps. Whether you think that is sufficient is of course your decision, but even on my slightly larger 36, there is not enough rail, on the transverse part of the pushpit, to provide a more satisfactory attachment for the cradle and hence the suggestion in my previous posting for some modification to the pushpit rails. One other possibility might be to mount the cradle on its side between the two vertical grab rails fitted either side of the stern walk through below the helm seat, but only if you don't actually need that walk through area during embarkation within a marina. At least there, the raft would have maximum protection from weather and from possible damage or loss in a close quarters situation with a passing vessel.

Bubble

« Reply #19 on: September 12 2016, 09:00 »
One of the joys of having a sugar-scoop is being able to effortlessly step ashore after reversing in to my marina berth. Given that I sail mostly single-handed, this has revolutionised my ability to berth easily and relatively consistently. Can't lose that!

I have yet to set an actual photo of a liferaft on the pushpit of a Bav 32, so it is looking like people don't do it for a reason.

Thanks, Jonathan

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #20 on: September 13 2016, 15:06 »
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)