Author Topic: Fridge to fridge freezer?  (Read 3653 times)

Impala

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2003
Fridge to fridge freezer?
« on: August 22 2016, 16:27 »
Hi,

Am intending to live aboard my boat and would love to have a small freezer and was wondering whether I could replace my fridge with a small fridge freezer - probably cost a fortune, but thought I'd ask!
Anyone got any ideas?

Br
Pip

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: fridge freezer?
« Reply #1 on: August 22 2016, 16:51 »
The fridge machinery on my B36(2002), was fitted several years ago as a condition of purchase from the previous owner. So far as I can tell, the machinery is nothing particularly special except that when the control is turned to maximum, it will freeze the contents of my fridge. However, the level of thermal insulation fitted in order for the fridge to retain its "cool" is insufficient for any length of time while dependent solely on the 12 volt domestic batteries. Up to now I've not got around to adding more insulation, despite fully intending to do so. Maybe it will get done over next winter, but access to the area outside of the cool box but behind the furniture panels is not easy, so at present I'm undecided on how to add thermal insulation.
So you might get away with an adjustment to your thermostat control, or you may need more powerful cooling machinery, but it is possible that you already have all you need to keep stuff frozen.

Baltic

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: B39
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Fridge to fridge freezer?
« Reply #2 on: August 22 2016, 20:01 »
Hi

One solution...
We have used like this one.
Installed under the saloon seat.

http://www.dometic.eu/product/waeco-coolfreeze-cdf-11/

Volume only 11 liter.
But large enough for small needs.
There in specifications is said up to -18C.
But with max. setting it is even colder.

robgs

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 40
  • Boat Year: 2007
Re: Fridge to fridge freezer?
« Reply #3 on: September 20 2016, 19:07 »
I replaced the factory installed Waeco front openong fridge with a freezer from Indel Webasto. Almost a plug in replacement. The I-W freezer works great and changed our lives. Uses less battery power than the Waeco.