Author Topic: Anodes for Bavaria 30c.  (Read 5547 times)

Bavnav

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Anodes for Bavaria 30c.
« on: August 18 2016, 23:39 »
Hi.
I will be taking the boat out for a fortnight at the end of September. She is a Bavaria 30c, 2006 model. It has a saildrive and the engine is a Volvo 19/20hp. I believe the current anodes are zinc, which is correct for the location. Would any forumites  be able to tell what anodes I require. That is, size/type for hull and saildrive and also recommend a make. I want to make sure I have all the parts ready before she is out in the yard. I intend to antifoul as well.
I am hoping the job will be straightforward, ie,no trimming for correct size and mounting bolts /screws with no corrosion to hinder replacement. Any comments/advice would be welcome.
Fair winds,
Bavnav.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Anodes for Bavaria30c.
« Reply #1 on: August 19 2016, 06:10 »
Hi,
Before your question can be answered fully, some more information would be useful in regard to which specific saildrive model is fitted to your boat, and what type of propeller (folding or fixed) that you have fitted, and if it is a folding prop, which manufacturer and specific model.
A Zinc anode, as you have noted in your posting is correct for use in sea water, and unless you sail quite a lot further up the Severn estuary, you are unlikely to need an anode more suited for brackish water. I've never noticed any difference in performance of anodes between different manufacturers, and so probably the most important thing is to ensure that the new anode you buy is the correct size for your particular sail drive. So you need to determine which model of saildrive is fitted on your boat. Is your boat fitted with a folding propeller, and if so you will need the specific anodes for the type of prop fitted.
In regard to antifouling paint, and now that the EU have decreed that antifouling paints should be almost as useless as a chocolate fire guard, I'd suggest that you buy the cheapest possible, but have a chat with yachties at your local sailing club to ask them what they use and which if any they find gives them good protection. A standard 2.5 litre can of antifouling should be more than enough for a single coat. In the past I have used International Cruiser Uno, and this does spread much further than some of the lesser priced paints which helps to make it a little more competetive in regard to cost.
FOR THE SAILDRIVE ENSURE THAT THE ANTIFOULING PAINT YOU USE IS SECIFICALLY SUITED FOR USE ON ALUMINIUM, and do not paint over the anodes.
Most antifouling paint is, or has been copper based, and if you make the mistake of using a copper based type on your saildrive it will over time eat your saildrive away. Do not therefore be tempted to "save money," or listen to anyone who says it doesn't matter what kind of antifouling you use on your sail drive unless you are completely happy with the thought of getting towed in and having to replace the drive after the old one has disintegrated. The same aluminium friendly antifouling used on your saildrive should also be used on the aluminium ring around your rudder shaft where it exits the hull.
While your boat is on shore is the ideal time to change the oil in your saildrive. For this you will need probably the biggest flat bladed screwdriver you can buy. Do not be tempted to use one that you have already got in your toolkit if the blade is in any way worn. The plug is located at the very bottom of the saildrive, it is made of marine grade stainless steel which is quite a soft metal, and where the slot cut into it is easily damaged by worn screwdrivers.  You will also need a translucent container such as an empty plastic milk bottle to catch the old oil. This you should keep for at least a couple of days to check that there is no water within the oil, after that you can then dispose of it into your boatyards old oil collection point. Water in the oil would mean having to get the seals changed, a boatyard job unless you are very mechanically competent.
You mentioned that your boat is a 2006 model, so if it hasn't been done, then you should be thinking about whether to change the saildrive hull seal. Volvo state that this has a life of around seven years, and anecdotal comment suggests that figure is very conservative with reports of them lasting many years longer. Mine was changed soon after I bought the boat, at which time it was nine years old and looking like it was almost brand new. Therefore I don't think that it is critical for it to be changed at this time, but you have to weigh that up what your insurer might say if it leaked and you put in a claim. My thoughts are that their reply would be along the lines of " tough $&!¥ matey, get lost."
Hope it all goes well.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 19 2016, 09:20 »
Very straightforward. Your saildrive is a 130S and this has a 2 piece anode which is bolted on to a frame between the prop and the saildrive housing with 2 socket headed screws. Just buy the anode kit from a Volvo dealer. The kit contains new screws as well as the anode. It is literally a 5 minute job to unscrew the old one and put on the new. The only caveat is if you have a rope cutter fitted you will need to get your anode from www.ropestripper.com as it is machined out a bit to enable the rope cutter to fit. Replacement is exactly the same - no need to dismantle the cutter or remove the prop.

If you are going to antifoul the drive housing use Trilux in spray form and  do not get any on the anode.

Bavnav

• First Mate
« Reply #3 on: August 19 2016, 20:37 »
Thanks for the replies, guys. Symphony, you have given me the saildrive model no. and this is what I was after. I have some Trilux left over from two years ago, when it was out last, in order to replace the saildrive deep water seals and service of saildrive. I usually, use Cruiser Uno on the hull and will do so again. From what I remember,  two years ago, the hull anode was pear shaped, unfortunately I can't remember the size.
Many thanks for the help.
Fair winds all,
Bavnav.

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: August 19 2016, 22:08 »
Surprised it has a hull anode as there is nothing that needs an anode apart from the saildrive. some later models (like my new 33) have a small button anode for the steering gear, but earlier boats do not. Worth checking what it is bonded to as it should not be bonded to the engine or gearbox and the seacocks etc do not need anodes.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: August 20 2016, 22:05 »
Hmmm... my B34/2001 also has a hull mounted pear anode that is wired to the saildrive only. This was done by the original owner and I have maintained it. I can't see any reason it would be detrimental and it certainly slows down the degradation of the (expensive) VP anode, i.e. less than 20% erosion after 3 years. The pear shaped one was also eroded but they are really cheap to replace. My 130 leg has a one-piece anode, milled for an Ambassador cutter, is expensive and is a pain to change so anything to prolong its life is good. If anyone knows a reason that this shouldn't be done then I'd be interested to know.
ATB

Mark

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: August 21 2016, 13:52 »
Hmmm... my B34/2001 also has a hull mounted pear anode that is wired to the saildrive only. This was done by the original owner and I have maintained it. I can't see any reason it would be detrimental and it certainly slows down the degradation of the (expensive) VP anode, i.e. less than 20% erosion after 3 years. The pear shaped one was also eroded but they are really cheap to replace. My 130 leg has a one-piece anode, milled for an Ambassador cutter, is expensive and is a pain to change so anything to prolong its life is good. If anyone knows a reason that this shouldn't be done then I'd be interested to know.

Your leg is a 120, not a 130, which has a 2 piece anode. Fitting an additional hull anode is unusual as it is largely ineffective because of the distance from the housing, and the dedicated anode will erode first. The 130 anode is twice the weight of the 120, although the latter can be marginal on some boats. In the Med I only changed the anode once in 10 years, and that was mainly because i fitted a rope cutter. On the same boat in the UK it was still good after 4 years continuous in the water. My new 130 looks like it will last at least that - only one year old so far.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
Re: Anodes for Bavaria 30c.
« Reply #7 on: August 21 2016, 21:18 »
Thanks for the info, Symphony. Hmm, a 120, huh? As ever, I live and learn. I admit the 130 was from memory (famously not good ). I get your point about distance but the pear is hull-mounted close to the leg and the cable runs are thus short. As it's filling two bolt holes it can stay there, and it has definitely eroded more mass than the leg anode during the same period.
ATB

Mark

Bavnav

• First Mate
« Reply #8 on: August 22 2016, 21:53 »
Thanks everyone. Interesting info.
Bavnav

Bavnav

• First Mate
« Reply #9 on: September 28 2016, 21:32 »
Hi Bavnav again. I am a little confused now, I thought I had a 130s saildrive leg. I am sure I bought a zinc anode for a 130s. It is in 2 pieces. Reading this post again, it looks as though it is a 120s. Are they compatible? The boat came out today and as yet I have not tried the replacement anode. When the boat was being pressure washed, I had a quick look at the saildrive anode and after at least 3 years the anode does not seem to be eroded much. I am wondering if the previous owner had fitted a magnesium anode as he kept the boat in a tidal river - brackish water. How would I know if it is magnesium? I keep the boat in seawater with a little freshwater. Majority of boats have zinc anodes fitted, here.
What would be the best antifoul for the aluminium prop?
Fair winds,
Bavnav.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #10 on: September 28 2016, 22:10 »
If you don't know what model saildrive you have, read it off the type label on top of the gearbox, aft of your engine.

If you're not sure what the anode is made of, replace it.

The one piece anode of the 120 is not interchangeable with the split anodes of the 130, as the mounting bolts are in different places.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Bavnav

• First Mate
« Reply #11 on: September 28 2016, 22:20 »
Yngmar, The anode on the saildrive has 2 bolts and looks as though it is in 2 pieces. Does this mean it is a 130s?
Fair winds,
Bavnav.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #12 on: September 28 2016, 22:36 »
Yngmar, The anode on the saildrive has 2 bolts and looks as though it is in 2 pieces. Does this mean it is a 130s?
Fair winds,
Bavnav.

Yes, that sounds like a 130. But wouldn't it be much easier to simply read the exact model number off the label in the boat? :)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Bavnav

• First Mate
« Reply #13 on: September 29 2016, 21:25 »
Yes, the saildrive leg is, as thought, a 130s. Confirmed by a local marine engineer. Thanks everyone.
Fair winds, Bavnav.